Tracking not free at USPS
micky
2017-03-07 18:54:27 UTC
A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.

Not so.

It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.

But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.
83LowRider
2017-03-07 20:53:07 UTC
Post by micky
A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.
Not so.
It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.
But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.
I sent a jump drive across the country last week via USPS.
Total cost was $2.67.
This included a tracking number on my receipt.
g***@aol.com
Anything sent priority mail is tracked.
Wade Garrett
2017-03-07 23:52:42 UTC
Post by g***@aol.com
Post by micky
A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.
Not so.
It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.
But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.
Anything sent priority mail is tracked.
As are first class parcels.

The thing is though it's really more a delivery confirmation system than
an actual tracking system. They hit it a few times at the drop-off post
office and "origin" station which is the initial distribution center
that sends it on it's way.

Much of the stuff I ship (and I ship a lot selling on Ebay) goes 2-3-4
days without being scanned at all, They it magically shows up at the
delivery office, then delivered later in the day....and not infrequently
a day or two later than the original "expected delivery" date they show
right after they take your money;-)

UPS, FedEx, and even DHL scan parcels all along the way so you know
where your stuff is and if it's on time.
--
Never Squat With Your Spurs On.
- Will Rogers
DerbyDad03
2017-03-08 01:22:13 UTC
Post by micky
A few months ago there was a thread that claimed that tracking in the US
postal service was free for any package or letter.
Not so.
It's free with certified mail and some other things but to just send a
letter, it's about $6.50. I think for the same money one can send
certified mail, return reciept, with tracking, but I didn't have any use
for certification or a receipt.
But it's not at all free. And of course not. Otherwise people would be
using it for trivialities.
I use it for trivialities.

I ship small packages USPS First Class via PayPal quite often. Here's the
result of a recent transaction. Note the cost of the USPS Tracking.

Shipping cost
Postage cost $3.88 USD
USPS Tracking® $0.00 USD
Total $3.88 USD
Payment method
Instant Transfer...x-xxxx
Oren
2017-03-08 04:54:51 UTC
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017 17:22:13 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
Post by DerbyDad03
I use it for trivialities.
I ship small packages USPS First Class via PayPal quite often. Here's the
result of a recent transaction. Note the cost of the USPS Tracking.
Shipping cost
Postage cost $3.88 USD
USPS Tracking® $0.00 USD
Total $3.88 USD
Payment method
Instant Transfer...x-xxxx
Something odd last week I never saw before. Amazon split an order
(okay). The delivery was done by individuals using their private
vehicles. On day a guy in his van, the next a woman in her car. The
next day UPS showed up with the heavy box. Shipping was free and I
tracked all the parcels. :-)
CRNG
2017-03-08 10:45:05 UTC
Post by Oren
Something odd last week I never saw before. Amazon split an order
(okay). The delivery was done by individuals using their private
vehicles. On day a guy in his van, the next a woman in her car. The
next day UPS showed up with the heavy box. Shipping was free and I
tracked all the parcels. :-)
Looks like Amazon is cutting costs by contracting out delivery
services to individuals who probably don't know how to calculate the
full cost of operating their vehicle.
g***@aol.com
2017-03-08 16:45:02 UTC
Post by CRNG
Looks like Amazon is cutting costs by contracting out delivery
services to individuals who probably don't know how to calculate the
full cost of operating their vehicle.
I am sure that is some of it but these independent contractors do not
have the added costs that a licensed common carrier has. It is like
the difference between a "medallion cab" and an Uber.