What is this discoloration in toilet?
Add Reply
z***@yahoo.com
2006-11-26 18:56:17 UTC
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.

Speedy Jim
2006-11-26 19:03:38 UTC
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/inquisitiveman/IMG_3890-1.jpg
Calcium buildup from the water supply (hardness).

Muriatic acid is very effective in dissolving
the minerals.

Muriatic acid is also VERY dangerous to use!!
Wear eye protection and have good ventilation.
Rubber gloves to protect skin.

Plunge the bowl to get rid of as much water as you can.

GOOGLE "muriatic acid" so you know what you're dealing with.

AYOR

Jim
Buffalo Bob
2016-10-09 13:44:01 UTC
replying to Speedy Jim, Buffalo Bob wrote:
*150 GRIT sandpaper! Works everytime!!*

for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-is-this-discoloration-in-toilet-169783-.htm
Oren
2006-11-26 19:07:21 UTC
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/inquisitiveman/IMG_3890-1.jpg
I would try diluted muratic acid (follow directions) to clean it and
rinse well. My guess is your water causes this.

--
Oren

Colbyt
2006-11-26 19:20:14 UTC
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/inquisitiveman/IMG_3890-1.jpg
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.

For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.

Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Frank
2006-11-26 19:47:47 UTC
Post by Colbyt
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/inquisitiveman/IMG_3890-1.jpg
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.
For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.
Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Frank
Oren
2006-11-26 20:24:38 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by Colbyt
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.
For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.
Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

--
Oren

Malcolm Hoar
2006-11-26 20:56:10 UTC
Post by Oren
Post by Frank
Post by Colbyt
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.
For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.
Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.
It's also excellent for removing calcium deposits from the
porcelain on sinks (around the faucets and drain). A few
drops of white vinegar every few months does wonders for
my sinks.

Not sure it will handle heavy deposits in a toilet bowl tho'.
Could try let the vinegar working for a few hours, scrub with
a stiff brush, and repeat. I guess one would get there in the
end but it might take a few days.
| ***@malch.com Gary Player. |
| http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Oren
2006-11-26 21:24:18 UTC
Post by Malcolm Hoar
Post by Oren
Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.
It's also excellent for removing calcium deposits from the
porcelain on sinks (around the faucets and drain). A few
drops of white vinegar every few months does wonders for
my sinks.
Mom always sat her steam iron in a shallow dish of Vinegar to clean
the bottom.
Post by Malcolm Hoar
Not sure it will handle heavy deposits in a toilet bowl tho'.
Could try let the vinegar working for a few hours, scrub with
a stiff brush, and repeat. I guess one would get there in the
end but it might take a few days.
I would not use Vinegar for the picture I saw. I was scared to look.

--
Oren

Stormin Mormon
2006-11-27 03:03:38 UTC
I hate it when sprinklers hit my car. Goes thunk, and leaves
scratches.
--
Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
Post by Frank
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.

--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly."
.***@...................................
2006-11-27 09:51:35 UTC
Post by Oren
Post by Frank
Post by Colbyt
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.
For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.
Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Vinegar is excellent for removing calcium spots on cars hit by
sprinklers with hard water.
Be thankful that you have hard water. Men who drink hard water get
HARD erections (unlike those who drink soft water and have to re-marry
every year).
Noozer
Voice of experience?
mm
2006-11-26 21:32:53 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by Colbyt
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/inquisitiveman/IMG_3890-1.jpg
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.
For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.
Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Frank
Stronger, I think, than vinegar but safer, I think, than muriatic acid
would be Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner sold at Lowes. They sell a lot
of Zep products in their cleaning and janitorial section. It has
hypochloric acid, which sounds similar to muriatic (hydrochloric) but
is probably weaker and whose warnings are less. And it's already
diluted. And it's also a bit thick so it clings to the sides better
than muriatic acid would (which I have somewhere and have used a
little bit.) Blue with yellow lable on white plastic bottle.

It can take several applications with soaking and brushiing inbetween
to completely clean the bowl.

There used to be anohter brand, with a largely green or 3-color one of
which is green bottle, and the tub cleaner by that company is still
sold around Baltimore, but I never see the toilet bowl cleaner. (Not
talking about CLR)
HeyBub
Muriatic Acid = Hydrochloric Acid
mm
2006-11-27 13:58:51 UTC
Post by HeyBub
Post by mm
Stronger, I think, than vinegar but safer, I think, than muriatic acid
would be Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner sold at Lowes. They sell a lot
of Zep products in their cleaning and janitorial section. It has
hypochloric acid, which sounds similar to muriatic (hydrochloric) but
is probably weaker and whose warnings are less. And it's already
diluted. And it's also a bit thick so it clings to the sides better
than muriatic acid would (which I have somewhere and have used a
little bit.) Blue with yellow lable on white plastic bottle.
Muriatic Acid = Hydrochloric Acid
That's what I said above. However Zep contains hypochloric acid.

BTW, if it doesn't work, the op can use up the bottle using the stuff
like other toilet bowl cleaner.
Kyle
2006-11-29 14:32:15 UTC
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this?
Calcium buildup. If it is a light case a product like clr might remove it.
For a heavy layer reduce the water level to the lowest point and use about a
quart of muriatic acid with the window open. The fumes are nasty.
Be very careful if you use the acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinegar may also do it and it's obviously safer to use.
Vinegar is amazing with mineral build-up, but you have to let it soak
for quite a while - several hours to a couple days. What I would
recommend is if you are going away for a weekend or otherwise traveling
for a few days, turn the water supply off on the toilet, flush it until
you have little-to-no water left in the bowl, pour in a few cups of
vinegar, close the bathroom door and leave.

When you come home, use the toilet bowl brush to dislodge any stubborn
bits of mineral, turn on the water and flush. You should get rid of
most, if not all, of the mineral build-up. If there's anything left,
try one of the milder cleansers such as Bon Ami...I would stay away
from the chemical cleansers at first, just because I'm not sure how
they'd react with the vinegar (which is basically acetic acid) and what
fumes might be created. After a couple flushes you might be OK to use
the chemical cleaners.

I did this recently with my shower head, which had a TERRIBLE calcium
build-up, and the vinegar worked like a dream.
h***@aol.com
2006-11-26 19:48:02 UTC
hows it flushing? the build up often clogs the inner bowl passages
causing poor flushing.....

muriatic acids risks are overstated, just have window open, dont
splash, wear gloves. wear eye protection in case you splash by
accident.

i just take a deep breathe hold it use acid and leave room immediately
shutting door

years ago acids were used all the time without the safety hype
Oren
2006-11-26 20:49:17 UTC
Post by h***@aol.com
muriatic acids risks are overstated, just have window open, dont
splash, wear gloves. wear eye protection in case you splash by
accident.
Don't pour water into muriatic acid; pour muriatic acid into water.
Post by h***@aol.com
i just take a deep breathe hold it use acid and leave room immediately
shutting door
Abandon ship....
Post by h***@aol.com
years ago acids were used all the time without the safety hype
If Jimmy Hoffa could tell us........

--
Oren

Stormin Mormon
2006-11-27 03:03:38 UTC
Yeah, and a lot of people got hurt, too.
--
Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Steve-O-Rino
2018-08-10 12:14:02 UTC
replying to hallerb, Steve-O-Rino wrote:
I've thought the same. But the more I think about it, it 'snot the 'safety
hype'. It's the lawyers who have everybody afraid they'll get sued for
suggesting something where someone gets hurt. "He told me I should do it!"
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-is-this-discoloration-in-toilet-169783-.htm
George E. Cawthon
2006-11-26 23:15:12 UTC
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Hello,
I've been getting this discoloration at the bottom of my toilet. It
looks like something is peeling off the bottom, but not sure what it
is? Anyone know? Also, is there a chemical product that i can use to
get rid of this? Pic below. Thanks.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/inquisitiveman/IMG_3890-1.jpg
Hardwater deposits. How often do you use a toilet
cleaning solution? and scrub the dark area shown.

Contrary to others, you probably don't need any
special acid, regular toilet clean products
usually are acidic. What you should try and
probably the quickest and best approach is using a
pumice block ("PUMI" or some such name). Turn
the water supply off, flush the toilet, put on
your rubber gloves and scrub. Probably take 1
minute to remove most of it and will probably
smooth the surface enough to retard future deposits.
z***@yahoo.com
2006-11-27 00:25:02 UTC
I usually clean the toilet every two weeks or so. I use clorox toilet
bowl cleaner,bathroom cleaner, and scrub free products. Thanks for the
tip.
m***@UNLISTED.com
2006-11-27 16:40:08 UTC
Most people call it SHIT.......
h***@att.net
After ten years, the toilet is filled solid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nick
2017-09-27 17:14:02 UTC
replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote:
It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-is-this-discoloration-in-toilet-169783-.htm
Uncle Monster
2017-09-27 20:35:17 UTC
Post by Nick
It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off
--
You're too late. 10 years ago, zcarenow became so enraged at the stains in his toilet that he suffered a stroke, fell headfirst into his toilet and drowned. After four days without food, his 267 gerbils escaped their enclosure and since they were so hungry, the furry little critters found and feasted on zcarenow's corpse. It was three months before the tragedy was discovered when a family member went to check on him. There is now a colony of carnivorous gerbils hidden in the surrounding hills preying upon area pets and livestock. Animal Control has tried to eliminate the feral gerbils by using flame throwers but the offensive odor of roasting gerbils has been too much for the officers to tolerate. Some guys from Peru were finally brought in to help since they eat guinea pigs and it was reasoned that those rodents were close enough. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster
Oren
2017-09-27 21:27:11 UTC
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:14:02 GMT, Nick
Post by Nick
It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off
Sure, go ahead and chip the bowl glazing while other simpler methods
work and take three (3) minutes.
Tekkie®
2017-10-02 20:35:34 UTC
Oren posted for all of us...
Post by Nick
It is a scale build up from urine and is very hard. You can scrape it off with
a flat screw driver or any sharp object you can get in to scrape it off
Sure, go ahead and chip the bowl glazing while other simpler methods
work and take three (3) minutes.
I would think a Snap-On large pry-bar would be the solution. Much wider
blade. Get one with a striking head...
Tekkie
serendipity
2018-02-25 21:14:02 UTC
replying to zcarenow, serendipity wrote:
Had same - disgusting brown gunk all over bottom of bowl. Tried absolutly
everything for a year. Then tried new/old product
Domestios Zero from supermarket. Left it for a few hours - a brilliant result
- brown gunk had peeled off. Have used on all bathroom items since, with
excellent results.

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-is-this-discoloration-in-toilet-169783-.htm
Bob F
2018-08-03 01:43:28 UTC
Had same - disgusting brown gunk all over bottom of bowl.  Tried absolutly
everything for a year.  Then tried new/old product
Domestios Zero from supermarket.  Left it for a few hours - a brilliant
result
- brown gunk had peeled off.  Have used on all bathroom items since, with
excellent results.
I just pour in 1/2 cup bleach, then lay a layer of TP on the sides above
the water with 1/2" in the water to wick the bleach water above the
water level. Flush it 6 or more hours later, and it's pretty clean.
Nick
2018-03-28 02:14:02 UTC
replying to zcarenow, Nick wrote:
Hello
Muriatic acid is very toxic for you............. After the usage, it will end
up in the environment, it will not vanish.So vinegar and baking soda works
also; but you need to emptied as much as possible the toilet and scrub with
green scrubbing pad

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-is-this-discoloration-in-toilet-169783-.htm
g***@aol.com
2018-03-28 04:52:29 UTC
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 02:14:02 GMT, Nick
Post by Nick
Hello
Muriatic acid is very toxic for you............. After the usage, it will end
up in the environment, it will not vanish.So vinegar and baking soda works
also; but you need to emptied as much as possible the toilet and scrub with
green scrubbing pad
Muriatic acid is tough on skin and the fumes will burn your lungs but
in the environment it disappears pretty quickly. It will react with
the calcium or other metals in the soil and become salts. Certainly a
rail car full would be a problem but a cup of it disappears pretty
fast. I use it by the gallon in my pool.
MJG
2018-08-02 19:44:01 UTC
replying to zcarenow, MJG wrote:
Had this problem, it's urine sediment build up. In my case had a pee, forgot
to flush as I was leaving to go on holiday, doh!
Tried everything then came across Calsolve toilet descaler, about £15 on
amazon. Fantastic, really works. Follow instructions including hot water.
Sorted!

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/what-is-this-discoloration-in-toilet-169783-.htm
e***@gmail.com
2018-08-03 09:45:58 UTC
Vinegar may not be strong enough. Use phosphoric acid. Muriatic acid is likely to etch the porcelain.