American mailboxes
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-02-13 22:19:39 UTC
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.
Illegal is a big sick bird.
The Peeler
2017-02-13 22:34:19 UTC
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:19:39 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I was just watching an American film and thought,
Ah, there's the snag again, idiot!
--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) deep "thinking":
"A cucumber looks and smells nothing like a snake."
MID: <***@red.lan>
Frank
2017-02-14 01:07:55 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.
There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-02-14 01:24:52 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.
There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.
Yes I can see it being more efficient for the mail people, although bloody inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to stop dogs eating the letters never remember to check them and get letters a week late). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?
--
Customer explaining flooded car to insurance claim investigator:
"It didn't look that deep at first glance - it only came half way up the ducks."
The Peeler
2017-02-14 01:31:51 UTC
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 01:24:52 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by Frank
There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.
Yes I can see
Too bad he can't see to what kind of an idiot he was responding, you filthy
Scottish shithead!
--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson") about himself:
"I can sleep outside in a temperature of -20C wearing only shorts".
(Courtesy of Mr Pounder)
ItsJoanNotJoann
2017-02-14 01:35:24 UTC
Post by Frank
There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.
Yes I can see it being more efficient for the mail people, although bloody inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to stop dogs eating the letters never remember to check them and get letters a week late). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?
No one forced the home owner to buy a house that the mail box is
at the end of their driveway. Mail does get stolen on occasion
but not that often.

Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the
end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-02-14 03:53:12 UTC
Post by Frank
There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.
Yes I can see it being more efficient for the mail people, although bloody inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to stop dogs eating the letters never remember to check them and get letters a week late). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?
No one forced the home owner to buy a house that the mail box is
at the end of their driveway. Mail does get stolen on occasion
but not that often.
Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the
end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?
In the UK, people sometimes (only 1 in 100) have boxes attached to the outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put into the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.
If our service isn't up to your standards, please lower your standards.
DerbyDad03
2017-02-14 04:10:32 UTC
Post by Frank
[...]
1 - How do you know that these 1 in 100 people "often" forget to check their mail? Do you
know them all? Do they publish their forgetfulness in the local paper?

2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of their house and
forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupid.

We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years. We check it every day
except for Sunday. It's really not that hard to remember. See if you can understand this
process:

Step 1: See Mailbox
Step 2: Think: "Did you check for mail today?"
Step 3: If no, check it. If yes, don't bother.
ItsJoanNotJoann
2017-02-14 04:49:45 UTC
Post by ItsJoanNotJoann
Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the
end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?
In the UK, people sometimes (only 1 in 100) have boxes attached to the outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put into the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.
1 - How do you know that these 1 in 100 people "often" forget to check their mail? Do you
know them all? Do they publish their forgetfulness in the local paper?
It does kinda silly and made up, doesn't it? I'd venture a guess
that most people get some sort of mail each day. That might be
junk mail, a letter, catalog, or a bill. He's trying to make us
believe that everybody that doesn't get their mail through a slot
in the door has Alzhiemers and completely forget to check their
outside mail boxes.
Post by DerbyDad03
2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of their house and
forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupid.
Yep! Not too bright when it comes to getting their mail, are they?
Post by DerbyDad03
We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years. We check it every day
except for Sunday. It's really not that hard to remember. See if you can understand this
Step 1: See Mailbox
Step 2: Think: "Did you check for mail today?"
Step 3: If no, check it. If yes, don't bother.
My house is 90 years old and so are the surrounding houses.
Every single one has a mail box on the outside, just a step
or two outside the front door. It ain't rocket science to
remember to check to see if you have mail that day.
The Peeler
2017-02-14 10:32:32 UTC
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 03:53:12 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by ItsJoanNotJoann
Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the
end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?
you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.
Yep, seems to be over your stupid head, Birdbrain!
--
Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic "mind" at work:
"Satan is god's wife. Woman are evil."
MID: <***@red.lan>
Oren
2017-02-14 03:01:40 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.
There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.
Brits don't know how Americans get Air Mail in the Everglades.

<https://tinyurl.com/z9jjkgz>

Or Alaska <https://tinyurl.com/hbshtrm>
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-02-14 03:50:00 UTC
Post by Oren
Post by Frank
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.
There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger
lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive
vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right,
normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.
Brits don't know how Americans get Air Mail in the Everglades.
<https://tinyurl.com/z9jjkgz>
Or Alaska <https://tinyurl.com/hbshtrm>
I assume that's a joke.
"His idea of safe sex is an `X' spray-painted on the rump of animals that are known to kick."
The Peeler
2017-02-14 10:32:38 UTC
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 03:50:00 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by Oren
Brits don't know how Americans get Air Mail in the Everglades.
<https://tinyurl.com/z9jjkgz>
Or Alaska <https://tinyurl.com/hbshtrm>
I assume that's a joke.
Birdbrain, YOU are the joke here!
--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic world:
"I was once told off for killing a mouse too slowly."
MID: <***@red.lan>
Dean Hoffman
2017-02-14 02:30:58 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal
everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the
house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids
are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.
Probably just because they see what's in their mailboxes and
social pressure.
It is common in parts of rural Nebraska to have several mailboxes
grouped on
their own posts. It will be up to the ranchers to get their mail from
there.
There isn't delivery to individual houses.
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.
ItsJoanNotJoann
2017-02-14 03:38:25 UTC
Post by Dean Hoffman
It is common in parts of rural Nebraska to have several mailboxes
grouped on
their own posts. It will be up to the ranchers to get their mail from
there.
There isn't delivery to individual houses.
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.
Last time I was in Nevada and Utah driving we'd see signs that just
said Ranch Road 30, etc. They didn't have addresses
like 123 Main Street or RR 10, Box 1.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-02-14 03:51:02 UTC
Post by Dean Hoffman
[...]
If I lived in one of those ranches, I'd have a lock on the box!
--
The modest young lass had just purchased some lingerie and asked if she might have the sentence "If you can read this, you're too damned close" embroidered on her panties and bra.
"Yes madam," said the clerk. "I'm quite certain that could be done. Would you prefer block or script letters ?"
"Braille," she replied.
James Wilkinson Sword
2017-02-14 03:51:19 UTC
Post by Dean Hoffman
[...]
What happens if you get a parcel delivered that's quite large?
"Braille," she replied.
ItsJoanNotJoann
2017-02-14 04:40:21 UTC
Post by Dean Hoffman
There isn't delivery to individual houses.
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.
What happens if you get a parcel delivered that's quite large?
I guess they come to your door to deliver or you make arrangements
to pick up your package at the nearest town.
The Peeler
2017-02-14 10:32:46 UTC
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 03:51:19 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),
Post by Dean Hoffman
There might also be a post there with signs pointing to the
individual ranches.
Each sign would be a single board cut to make an arrow. It might say
something
like Too Poor Ranch 12 miles.
What happens if you get a parcel delivered that's quite large?
Take a guess, poor idiot!
--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) strange world:
"If the human is inferior to the dog, we don't care for the dead human."
MID: <***@red.lan>
Joe
2017-02-14 09:48:48 UTC
Post by James Wilkinson Sword
I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids
steal everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox
INSIDE the house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door).
Surely kids are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's
right on the street.
As far as I know, I've never had my mail stolen...but it's just junkmail
anyway.