excellent price on LEDs yesterday
songbird
2017-01-06 14:34:32 UTC
the power company is subsidizing them.

instead of paying ~$10/3 it is $2.88/6.

i thought when we were walking by the
display that the price was wrong but a guy
came along and said that no, this was
the price.

there was a limit of two packs for each
transaction, but i had a card for that store
too so we picked up enough packs to replace
all the track lights.

we were just talking the other day about
replacing them because a few bulbs were burned
out and needing replacement anyways, but
at the higher price it just wasn't worth it.
we don't use the track lights much (at 75
watts each and having eighteen of them
going...).

so as soon as i get the ladder and do this
project it will be good to have them done.

songbird
Ed Pawlowski
2017-01-06 16:18:34 UTC
Post by songbird
the power company is subsidizing them.
instead of paying ~$10/3 it is $2.88/6.
we were just talking the other day about
replacing them because a few bulbs were burned
out and needing replacement anyways, but
at the higher price it just wasn't worth it.
we don't use the track lights much (at 75
watts each and having eighteen of them
going...).
Good price. What size room needs 1350 watts of lighting? I can light
my 2000 sq foot house with much less.
songbird
2017-01-07 05:26:32 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by songbird
the power company is subsidizing them.
instead of paying ~$10/3 it is $2.88/6.
we were just talking the other day about
replacing them because a few bulbs were burned
out and needing replacement anyways, but
at the higher price it just wasn't worth it.
we don't use the track lights much (at 75
watts each and having eighteen of them
going...).
Good price. What size room needs 1350 watts of lighting? I can light
my 2000 sq foot house with much less.
these are track lights, rarely used,
originally meant to light paintings as the
house was built as a studio/gallery and
summer home. they get used maybe 50 hours
total a year. that's 12 out of the 18
lights. the other 6 are in this room.

normally we light with one LED light in
the kitchen (which uses about 11 watts)
i think that's 1200 lumens. when i read
i have another single light in here that
i use instead of the track lighting. i
usually only turn those on when i'm looking
for a book on the shelves or have dropped
something.

we have other lights for when Ma is
sewing or working in the kitchen and needs
more light (several 4ft shoplights which
reflect off the ceiling for indirect light).

songbird
burfordTjustice
2017-01-06 16:48:10 UTC
On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 09:34:32 -0500
From: songbird <
the power company is subsidizing them.
So they are not cheap. The Power comapny will collect more
from customers under extra charges then it ever gives you.
Just another "feel good" scam
Uncle Monster
2017-01-06 23:59:40 UTC
Post by songbird
the power company is subsidizing them.
instead of paying ~$10/3 it is $2.88/6.
i thought when we were walking by the
display that the price was wrong but a guy
came along and said that no, this was
the price.
there was a limit of two packs for each
transaction, but i had a card for that store
too so we picked up enough packs to replace
all the track lights.
we were just talking the other day about
replacing them because a few bulbs were burned
out and needing replacement anyways, but
at the higher price it just wasn't worth it.
we don't use the track lights much (at 75
watts each and having eighteen of them
going...).
so as soon as i get the ladder and do this
project it will be good to have them done.
songbird
I'm curious, what brand are the LED bulbs? There are cheap Chinese made LED bulbs that are sold by the ton or shipping container load and the quality is not that good. I've seen name brand LED bulbs that are made in China and seem to be well made because the brands have control of production.

Back home I have some Sylvania, Cree and no name brand bulbs that have been on continuously for 4 years(as far as I know). The Sylvania was made in China and I remember the Cree bulb being labeled,"assembled in USA". I have some LED candelabra base 25w equivalent in small table lamps I used for night lights. I put one behind the big screen TV as a backlight to illuminate the wall behind TV and it stays on as a night light. All my desk lamps and small table lamps are plugged into battery backup power supplies. The last time I was home in January of 2015 there was a power outage and the LED lamps were on for 6 hours and could have lasted much longer on the battery backups. Incandescent lamps wouldn't have lasted that long.

I remember the dim little red newfangled LED's that showed up on the market when I was a young man and how excited me and the other electronic experimenters were to get our hands on them. Then different color LED's started showing up and we were so happy but the Holy Grail, the blue LED was the last one to show up and make LED color displays and later the incandescent replacement bulbs possible. I haven't kept up with the technical information because the darn things are light years ahead of what I worked with and experimented with years ago and I'm amazed at what I see available today. The LED TV's I have amaze me. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Lit Monster
songbird
2017-01-07 05:32:31 UTC
Uncle Monster
2017-01-07 12:31:58 UTC
Post by Uncle Monster
I'm curious, what brand are the LED bulbs? There are cheap Chinese made LED bulbs that are sold by the ton or shipping container load and the quality is not that good. I've seen name brand LED bulbs that are made in China and seem to be well made because the brands have control of production.
GE branded Bright Stick daylight.
Post by Uncle Monster
Back home I have some Sylvania, Cree and no name brand bulbs that have been on continuously for 4 years(as far as I know). The Sylvania was made in China and I remember the Cree bulb being labeled,"assembled in USA". I have some LED candelabra base 25w equivalent in small table lamps I used for night lights. I put one behind the big screen TV as a backlight to illuminate the wall behind TV and it stays on as a night light. All my desk lamps and small table lamps are plugged into battery backup power supplies. The last time I was home in January of 2015 there was a power outage and the LED lamps were on for 6 hours and could have lasted much longer on the battery backups. Incandescent lamps wouldn't have lasted that long.
*nods* they are well worth the switch if you
are going to run them off a backup or a generator
or even solar panels or wind power. every bit less
load the better as that is also less battery storage
needed.
Post by Uncle Monster
I remember the dim little red newfangled LED's that showed up on the market when I was a young man and how excited me and the other electronic experimenters were to get our hands on them. Then different color LED's started showing up and we were so happy but the Holy Grail, the blue LED was the last one to show up and make LED color displays and later the incandescent replacement bulbs possible. I haven't kept up with the technical information because the darn things are light years ahead of what I worked with and experimented with years ago and I'm amazed at what I see available today. The LED TV's I have amaze me. ヽ(ヅ)ノ
i know, i love the fact that i can lift this 27" monitor
with two fingers. i just got it after my old tube monitor
finally started going. i'm sure it uses much less juice
than the old one.
songbird
Oh my goodness, I bought a 32" LED TV several years ago when I could still walk and I was able to tuck it under my arm and carry it up the steep stairs into my home. My tablets have LED lighting for the screens which makes them very light and has allowed me to replace the magazine, novel and newspaper when I visit the porcelain throne. I suppose laughing at the videos while disposing of toxic waste gives me a better outcome? ヽ(•‿•)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Wastefull(sic) Monster
songbird
2017-01-08 21:46:02 UTC
Post by Uncle Monster
I'm curious, what brand are the LED bulbs? There are cheap Chinese made LED bulbs that are sold by the ton or shipping container load and the quality is not that good. I've seen name brand LED bulbs that are made in China and seem to be well made because the brands have control of production.
GE branded Bright Stick daylight.
ah, as i was replacing the light bulbs this
morning i also took out a previous GE Bright
Stick which was a whiter/bluer light and the
specs on that one were 10 watts and 760 lumens.
the new ones are 9 watts and 800 lumens. a
little bit of a nice bump for such a short
period of time (less than a year).

23 of 24 bulbs done. forgot about one and
so it will have to wait until i get the
ladder out of the garage again. it is yet
another light we use very rarely.

songbird
Uncle Monster
2017-01-09 01:56:31 UTC
Post by songbird
Post by Uncle Monster
I'm curious, what brand are the LED bulbs? There are cheap Chinese made LED bulbs that are sold by the ton or shipping container load and the quality is not that good. I've seen name brand LED bulbs that are made in China and seem to be well made because the brands have control of production.
GE branded Bright Stick daylight.
ah, as i was replacing the light bulbs this
morning i also took out a previous GE Bright
Stick which was a whiter/bluer light and the
specs on that one were 10 watts and 760 lumens.
the new ones are 9 watts and 800 lumens. a
little bit of a nice bump for such a short
period of time (less than a year).
23 of 24 bulbs done. forgot about one and
so it will have to wait until i get the
ladder out of the garage again. it is yet
another light we use very rarely.
songbird
Is this what the lights look like? The shape leads me to believe that the lamps are easy to install and remove. The bulbs could outlast the fixtures, meaning someone could remodel and transfer the lamps to a new light bar. It's also a bit depressing to think that a $3.00 light bulb could outlive me. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60W-Equivalent-Daylight-General-Purpose-LED-Bright-Stik-light-bulb-3-Pack-LED10S3-5K-96/205783755

[8~{} Uncle Glowing Monster
songbird
2017-01-09 04:53:56 UTC