2017-07-16 21:24:22 UTC
Thursday evening, 7/13/2017, I went to take a bath and found there was
NO hot water. I did notice my sump pump in the basement was pumping
with regularity but fresh air return is located down there as well so
I wasn't particularly concerned. After heading down there I see water
water continually leaking from the 10 year old water heater. @$#%*&!,
there's an unexpected expense!!
To be honest, I rarely, rarely, rarely go in the basement as I have
nothing down there but the furnace and the water heater. I called
Friday morning to my local natural gas company and the price they
quoted me for a new water heater was exorbitant. I should have
known to not call them as last time I needed a new water heater
they were higher than any plumber but I was hoping since I am a
customer I might get a little price break. Forger that. Anyway
I had a plumber to come install a new 50 gallon water heater and
while he was there he saw the pipe for exhaust fumes from the
furnace had several large holes in it. He told me to NOT turn on
my furnace until that pipe was replaced.
He comes back with my new water heater and new vent pipe for the
furnace as well! The purpose of this post is warn people to go
into their basements a couple times a year just to make sure
pipes, water lines, duct work, etc. all look ok. Don't be a
dummy like me, you might not wake up one morning.
I've also had a vapor barrier laid in my basement as it's only a
dugout. I have not heard my sump pump come on once since the
new water heater and barrier have been installed. Yes, I know,
it's my fault completely for not checking down there a couple
times per year, but I've learned my lesson, believe me, I have
learned my lesson!!
Another foolish thing I have corrected is buying a carbon
monoxide detector which I should have had ALL these years
living in this house. I bought one of those Kidde models
that has the non-replaceable lithium battery guaranteed for
10 years. Back in the Spring I bought the same battery type
smoke detector that is outside my bedroom as will be the
carbon monoxide detector.
My lecture is over and I hope others won't be an 'ostrich
with her head in the sand' like me. It could save your life.