New Trex deck
Add Reply
Frank
2017-10-12 17:04:22 UTC
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
sliding door:

https://imgur.com/a/BHOta

Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.

I had started looking into this back early in the year and sought advice
here. Got a bid from Lowes that I did not like in May then waited til
end of summer and got three more bids. One I liked and chose was 2nd
lowest.

At my age, definitely not a DYI project but there was a lot of work on
choice of materials and finding a good contractor and I appreciated
advice from this group.

I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics. These materials need time to go
through their growing pains as Trex did. Bad comments were on light
stability and mold resistance of early Trex which have been cured.
I might have gone Azex but it cost over 1/3rd more.
r***@gmail.com
You did the right thing and your timing was great.
c***@snyder.on.ca
You won't be sorry - Looks good!!
Ed Pawlowski
2017-10-12 18:25:35 UTC
[...]
Looks very nice. Like the railing you chose. My neighbor has Trex and
he just pressure washes it in the spring. All you would need is aSunJoe
electric, maybe even the hose.
Oren
Very nice deck Frank. Easy on the eyes.
dpb
2017-10-12 18:50:39 UTC
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
https://imgur.com/a/BHOta
Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.
I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics. ...
The only real issue I have w/ Trex or any of the similar is their solar
heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the surface--out here in hot
summer sun you can seriously burn a bare foot in summer...lighter colors
help in that regards.

Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...

Frank
2017-10-12 19:07:58 UTC
Post by dpb
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
https://imgur.com/a/BHOta
Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.
I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics. ...
The only real issue I have w/ Trex or any of the similar is their solar
heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the surface--out here in hot
summer sun you can seriously burn a bare foot in summer...lighter colors
help in that regards.
Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...
--
Wife wanted darker color but I was concerned about it fading faster. I
have a black grill cover practically bleached white on top after two years.

The railings except for top are PVC and I have not seen sagging problem
with them.

We don't spend a lot of time there and never go out in bare feet but I
agree it could be a problem for some people.
dpb
2017-10-12 19:23:20 UTC
On 12-Oct-17 2:07 PM, Frank wrote:
Post by Frank
Wife wanted darker color but I was concerned about it fading faster. I
have a black grill cover practically bleached white on top after two years.
The railings except for top are PVC and I have not seen sagging problem
with them.
We don't spend a lot of time there and never go out in bare feet but I
agree it could be a problem for some people.
Intended to comment it is a nice-looking job; hope it holds up and
serves well...

It gets near or 100F here for quite a fair amount of summer with
110-115F a few times a year most years. In more temperate areas it
surely won't be nearly as much an issue. I've not built any decks here
owing to such; there are two wide covered porches on the old farm house
although we really don't use them...

notbob
2017-10-12 19:46:43 UTC
Post by dpb
Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...
I saw a neigbor install a entire Trex deck. As a geezer with some
wood framing experience, I was shocked. Not only by the screws used to
assemble everything (first time), but the extra support needed to
install things like steps, etc. That "serious sag" can even be seen
at the lumber yard. I saw Trex long boards that couldn't even support their
own weight.

No doubt Trex requires a different technique. ;)

nb
dpb
2017-10-12 20:20:16 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by dpb
Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...
I saw a neigbor install a entire Trex deck. As a geezer with some
wood framing experience, I was shocked. Not only by the screws used to
assemble everything (first time), but the extra support needed to
install things like steps, etc. That "serious sag" can even be seen
at the lumber yard. I saw Trex long boards that couldn't even support their
own weight.
No doubt Trex requires a different technique. ;)
Indeed, comparatively it's a wet noodle even without the temperature
issues...

Modulus of Elasticity is 400 kpsi (ultimate) for Trex while SYP in
lengthwise bending is about 1.8E6 psi or 1800 kpsi. In deflection
calculations, E shows up linearly in the numerator so for a given span,
deflection roughly 4X that of SYP.

c***@snyder.on.ca
2017-10-12 20:58:09 UTC
Post by dpb
Workers just left, finishing deck in the rain. Photo taken through
https://imgur.com/a/BHOta
Contractor still needs to clean up and county has to inspect.
I chose Trex because it is essentially maintenance free and oldest on
the market of all the synthetics. ...
The only real issue I have w/ Trex or any of the similar is their solar
heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the surface--out here in hot
summer sun you can seriously burn a bare foot in summer...lighter colors
help in that regards.
Not so bad with deck railings with typically shorter spans and
intermediary supports as with fences, but every one of the synthetic
fences I've seen in town has serious sag from loss of rigidity over a
couple summers...
Which is why Trex recommends 12 inch centers for the deck support
joists.
dpb
2017-10-12 21:49:52 UTC
On 12-Oct-17 3:58 PM, ***@snyder.on.ca wrote:
Post by c***@snyder.on.ca
Which is why Trex recommends 12 inch centers for the deck support
joists.
It's more than "recommend"; couldn't meet Code deflection rules any
other way...see above on yield properties(*). Span shows up as L^3 or
L^4 (point/uniform) with loading so (3/4)^[3 or 4] power counteracts the
4.5X factor.

(*) Altho inadvertently type numerator instead of denominator; lower E
means higher deflection but ratio is same.

Wade Garrett
2017-10-12 20:59:24 UTC
[...]
Looks nice!
--
The day Al Gore was born, there were 7000 polar bears on earth. Today,
only 26,000 remain.
h***@att.net
2017-10-13 00:35:10 UTC
My Trex deck is at least 10 years old and still like new. Only visible signs of age are where a really hungry squirrel barely nibbled on the edge of the railing around the deck.
ItsJoanNotJoann
2017-10-13 00:55:16 UTC
Nice looking deck and it also looks like they did a great job.
Uncle Monster
2017-10-13 04:54:58 UTC
Post by Frank
[...]
OMG! Deck porn! You should be ashamed of yourself for posting such a picture! ヽ(•‿•)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Decked Monster
Frank
2017-10-13 12:23:28 UTC
Post by Uncle Monster
Post by Frank
[...]
You almost tempted me to post pictures of the take down of the old one
and cutting holes in patio for 36 inch deep concrete footers. That was
porn.