drywall - first coat of mud is cracking
c***@yahoo.com
2005-07-06 13:27:18 UTC
Hello all - I'm mudding the drywall in my garage. I used the normal
paper tape and it seemed to go up OK. Last night I put on the first
coat of mud over the tape. For the most part it looks OK, but in a few
places the mud is cracking slightly. Most of the cracks are a 1/4" or
less.

First, any idea why this happened? I know people will say I put the
mud on too thick, but I don't think so. I tested the thickness of my
mud as I was putting it up and it was around 1/16".

Second, can I put my second coat of mud over these small cracks or do I
need to remove it and start over?
joe
no prob, just keep on muddin.
G Henslee
2005-07-06 14:04:41 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Hello all - I'm mudding the drywall in my garage. I used the normal
paper tape and it seemed to go up OK. Last night I put on the first
coat of mud over the tape. For the most part it looks OK, but in a few
places the mud is cracking slightly. Most of the cracks are a 1/4" or
less.
First, any idea why this happened? I know people will say I put the
mud on too thick, but I don't think so. I tested the thickness of my
mud as I was putting it up and it was around 1/16".
Second, can I put my second coat of mud over these small cracks or do I
need to remove it and start over?
Probably thicker than you think. Only time in hundreds I've ever had
cracking it was due to too heavy of an application. Better to use 3
thin coats than heavy glopping ones that you end up sanding for hours.
Sand lightly between coats and it doesn't hurt to cut the compound a
little with water to thin slightly and make it more workable.
RicodJour
2005-07-06 14:43:27 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Hello all - I'm mudding the drywall in my garage. I used the normal
paper tape and it seemed to go up OK. Last night I put on the first
coat of mud over the tape. For the most part it looks OK, but in a few
places the mud is cracking slightly. Most of the cracks are a 1/4" or
less.
Them's some big ass cracks!
Post by c***@yahoo.com
First, any idea why this happened? I know people will say I put the
mud on too thick, but I don't think so. I tested the thickness of my
mud as I was putting it up and it was around 1/16".
The cracks are almost assuredly from too thick of an application and/or
the mud drying too quickly. Not sure where you're located, but higher
humidity in the summer usually means it dries more slowly.
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Second, can I put my second coat of mud over these small cracks or do I
need to remove it and start over?
I don't see how a 1/16" thick application could possibly have 1/4"
cracks. There's something wrong there. Normally with small cracks you
can just cover them with a thinner conistency top coat and they'll get
filled in. If you can eliminate any other causes, such as contaminated
compound, and the cracked compound is well adhered, then just go ahead
and top coat.

You also might have another problem that you're not yet aware of. If
you're having drying problems, it's possible that the paper tape is not
well adhered. It'll look okay, but it will bubble down the road.
Before you put any more effort into it, make sure that what you have is
up to snuff before proceeding.

c***@yahoo.com
2005-07-06 14:48:23 UTC
If this is the first coat, I wouldn't worry.

Sand and continue. If the next coat cracks, then you can start to be
concerned.

I mudded up some 2x3" drywall holes and the first layer always cracked
baddly. It is expected when you have 1" of solid mud. I just sand and
continue with normal. The second coat usually goes on without a
problem.

c_kubie
Doug Boulter
2005-07-07 01:14:42 UTC
Post by RicodJour
Post by c***@yahoo.com
For the most part it looks OK, but
in a few places the mud is cracking slightly. Most of the
cracks are a 1/4" or less.
Them's some big ass cracks!
I'm thinking he means that the cracks are 1/4" long, not wide.
--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Brittany Scott
2017-09-21 16:14:02 UTC
replying to RicodJour, Brittany Scott wrote:
Did you use mesh tape or paper tape?

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/drywall-first-coat-of-mud-is-cracking-66526-.htm
trader_4
2017-09-21 16:25:23 UTC
Do you really expect people from 2005 to be here waiting for an answer?
Phuck Phuck & Phuck Attn at Law
It took me over 30 years to get an examination for back damage by George HW Bush and the CIA
Ed Pawlowski
Maybe the mud was put on thick and took this long to fry?
Stormin' Norman
2017-09-22 01:20:41 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by trader_4
Post by Brittany Scott
Did you use mesh tape or paper tape?
--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/drywall-first-coat-of-mud-is-cracking-66526-.htm
Do you really expect people from 2005 to be here waiting for an answer?
Maybe the mud was put on thick and took this long to fry?
Fried mud, yummmmm.........
--
The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.
Uncle Monster
2017-09-21 18:05:41 UTC
Post by Brittany Scott
Did you use mesh tape or paper tape?
--
The guy used gerbil skins but didn't let them dry long enough. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Cracked Monster
Tekkie®
2017-09-21 19:07:01 UTC
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...
Post by Brittany Scott
Did you use mesh tape or paper tape?
--
The guy used gerbil skins but didn't let them dry long enough. ?(?)?
[8~{} Uncle Cracked Monster
We MUST launch an investigation of how the dead gerbils were obtained.
Tekkie
RicodJour
2019-03-26 18:44:02 UTC
replying to Brittany Scott, RicodJour wrote:
This is RicodJour Brittany, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Paper
tape
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/drywall-first-coat-of-mud-is-cracking-66526-.htm
JimL
I always get cracks on the first coat, but never on the last coat.
G Henslee
First coat is the tape. Why do you suppose you get cracks?
JimL
2005-07-07 14:11:40 UTC
Post by G Henslee
Post by JimL
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Hello all - I'm mudding the drywall in my garage. I used the normal
paper tape and it seemed to go up OK. Last night I put on the first
coat of mud over the tape. For the most part it looks OK, but in a few
places the mud is cracking slightly. Most of the cracks are a 1/4" or
less.
First, any idea why this happened? I know people will say I put the
mud on too thick, but I don't think so. I tested the thickness of my
mud as I was putting it up and it was around 1/16".
Second, can I put my second coat of mud over these small cracks or do I
need to remove it and start over?
I always get cracks on the first coat, but never on the last coat.
First coat is the tape. Why do you suppose you get cracks?
No. First coat is to cover the hole in the wall that my wife made
when she threw the 'empty' 38 revolver at me and missed. The patch
over the bullet holes didn't crack.
G Henslee
2005-07-07 14:41:54 UTC
Post by JimL
Post by G Henslee
First coat is the tape. Why do you suppose you get cracks?
No. First coat is to cover the hole in the wall that my wife made
when she threw the 'empty' 38 revolver at me and missed. The patch
over the bullet holes didn't crack.
LOL. I recommend Glaser Safety Slugs for interior home protection.
Hopefully she was wearing ear protection...
c***@yahoo.com
2005-07-07 13:00:34 UTC
Thought I would post a follow-up.

To answer a few questions, yes, the cracks are a 1/4" long, not wide.
And when I said "first coat", I meant the coat after the tape was up.
Is that considered to be the second coat?

The source of my problem was the mud. I was using some left-over junk
from my father-in-law that just wasn't cutting it. The mud even
smelled a little odd. After buying new mud, mixing it properly, and
putting on another coat, it looks fine. I just hope those cracks
underneath don't come back to haunt me.
G Henslee
2005-07-07 14:17:55 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Thought I would post a follow-up.
To answer a few questions, yes, the cracks are a 1/4" long, not wide.
And when I said "first coat", I meant the coat after the tape was up.
Is that considered to be the second coat?
The source of my problem was the mud. I was using some left-over junk
from my father-in-law that just wasn't cutting it. The mud even
smelled a little odd. After buying new mud, mixing it properly, and
putting on another coat, it looks fine. I just hope those cracks
underneath don't come back to haunt me.
The mud 'soured'. Good move on the fresh stuff. Apply it as I
explained earlier (thin coats) and the cracks will fill. You shouldn't
have further problems unless you apply it too heavy.

Thanks for the update. Most don't bother.
Abe
2005-07-07 21:36:22 UTC
Post by c***@yahoo.com
Hello all - I'm mudding the drywall in my garage. I used the normal
paper tape and it seemed to go up OK. Last night I put on the first
coat of mud over the tape. For the most part it looks OK, but in a few
places the mud is cracking slightly. Most of the cracks are a 1/4" or
less.
First, any idea why this happened? I know people will say I put the
mud on too thick, but I don't think so. I tested the thickness of my
mud as I was putting it up and it was around 1/16".
Second, can I put my second coat of mud over these small cracks or do I
need to remove it and start over?
Just sand out the cracks before putting on the next coat, otherwise
you'll end up with voids or weak bonding between layers. If it's
really hot/dry in your garage, the cracking might be due to too rapid
drying. If that's the case, water down the mud slightly (and stir
really well).