Felony charge for pocket knife
WWS TEXAS
2018-05-16 13:37:42 UTC
This kids life was ruined by having a pocket knife. It was in 2014, I don't know how it turned out.
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/jordan-wiser-ohio/

If you can find out more information about it post on this thread, I'd like to know.
https://ivn.us/2014/08/14/lies-may-sway-public-opinion-facts-never-change/

GUILTY
Ed Pawlowski
2018-05-16 13:44:23 UTC
http://youtu.be/xNj6BicFX3w
If you can find out more information about it post on this thread, I'd
like to know.
In my town, Google works.

http://www.starbeacon.com/news/local_news/former-a-tech-student-pleads-guilty-on-weapons-charge/article_32b6fee6-c1c1-59a9-88bf-940a76060370.html

During the plea hearing Wiser, through his attorney William Bobulsky,
admitted that the knife was a Smith and Wesson Special Ops model knife,
which measured 9-inches in length. Wiser had maintained all along that
the knife was a pocket knife, according to reports.

Wiser also admitted that the vest confiscated by ACSO was a tactical
vest and not an emergency medical technician vest.

Wiser, who was enrolled in the public safety program at A-Tech, was
expelled from the school. During the plea hearing, he apologized to
A-Tech officials, Dr. Jerome Brockway and Principal Paul Brocket as well
as to the State of Ohio, represented by the Ashtabula County
Prosecutor’s Office.

Wiser was sentenced to 180 days in the Ashtabula County Jail and was
credited for 13 days already served. The remaining 167 days were
suspended, according to court records.
Unquestionably Confused
2018-05-16 15:58:12 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
This kids life was ruined by having a pocket knife. It was in 2014, I
don't know how it turned out.
http://www.policestateusa.com/2014/jordan-wiser-ohio/
http://youtu.be/xNj6BicFX3w
If you can find out more information about it post on this thread, I'd
like to know.
In my town, Google works.
http://www.starbeacon.com/news/local_news/former-a-tech-student-pleads-guilty-on-weapons-charge/article_32b6fee6-c1c1-59a9-88bf-940a76060370.html
During the plea hearing Wiser, through his attorney William Bobulsky,
admitted that the knife was a Smith and Wesson Special Ops model knife,
which measured 9-inches in length. Wiser had maintained all along that
the knife was a pocket knife, according to reports.
There's always more to the story than what comes out early on.

In Illinois, he'd probably be in trouble for the pellet gun (if caliber
Post by Ed Pawlowski
.177) or the taser. The knife? That 9" is overall length so the
blade is likely a shade over 4". Most all of my pocket knives are 3½' -
4" blades. I challenge anyone to find a S&W knife with a blade that is 9"

The lad had some other "problems" with the background for his actions,
but 6 months (even suspended) for this? Another case of PC and Zero
Tolerance gone nuts!
rbowman
2018-05-17 01:29:50 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
.177) or the taser. The knife? That 9" is overall length so the
blade is likely a shade over 4". Most all of my pocket knives are 3½' -
4" blades. I challenge anyone to find a S&W knife with a blade that is 9"
My Spyderco Police is 9 1/2". Guess I better stay out of Illinois. No
problem.
Unquestionably Confused
2018-05-17 03:00:50 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Unquestionably Confused
In Illinois, he'd probably be in trouble for the pellet gun (if caliber
.177) or the taser.  The knife?  That 9" is overall length so the
blade is likely a shade over 4".  Most all of my pocket knives are 3½' -
4" blades.  I challenge anyone to find a S&W knife with a blade that
is 9"
My Spyderco Police is 9 1/2". Guess I better stay out of Illinois. No
problem.
There probably would NOT be a problem with the knife in Illinois. And,
as I stated, the dimension given for the kid's knife was OVERALL, not
blade length as the paper would have us believe. Just as your Spyderco
is 9 7/16ths" OVERALL with a 4 1/8" blade that has a 3 13/16th" cutting
edge.

WTF? Even a full-size USMC K-Bar fighting knife only has a 7" blade!
rbowman
2018-05-17 03:49:37 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
.177) or the taser. The knife? That 9" is overall length so the
blade is likely a shade over 4". Most all of my pocket knives are 3½' -
4" blades. I challenge anyone to find a S&W knife with a blade that is 9"
My Spyderco Police is 9 1/2". Guess I better stay out of Illinois. No
problem.
There probably would NOT be a problem with the knife in Illinois. And,
as I stated, the dimension given for the kid's knife was OVERALL, not
blade length as the paper would have us believe. Just as your Spyderco
is 9 7/16ths" OVERALL with a 4 1/8" blade that has a 3 13/16th" cutting
edge.
WTF? Even a full-size USMC K-Bar fighting knife only has a 7" blade!
I've got a fixed blade Randall with a 6" blade. Despite Crocodile Dundee
there is a limit to useful length other than playing mine is bigger than
yours.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/illinois/

As I read that in Illinois any blade 3" or longer are per se weapons.
That would include the Opinel No. 8 I use for a letter opener. I
probably have something under 3" around here someplace. Maybe.
Unquestionably Confused
2018-05-17 13:48:32 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
What can I say? Illinois is Illinois. It's unfriendly to knife owners,
gun owners, to . . . Waitaminute, it's unfriendly to everyone and
everything! ;)

That said, I have to say that in over 50 years of involvement with the
courts (law enforcement and other) I can't recall ever seeing a charge
placed based upon a per se knife (i.e. blade >3").

Knife charges? Sure, but it's always been a common sense (rarity, I
know) charge where the police placed the charge based upon its use as a
deadly weapon. Obviously, before they were recently legalized,
automatics and switchblades, which fell into the per se category were
considered contraband and possession would wind up getting you charged
criminally.

FWIW, even in Illinois it's pretty much "don't do something stupid with
your knife and you won't have a problem"; act the idiot and you can
expect to be made an example of.

The only knife I own/carry with a blade <3" is a little sterling silver
Swiss Army Gent's Pocket knife. I always joke with the security guys at
the courthouse about it. If I had that knife in my pocket and my Cross
mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket, guess which one I'd use to take
somebody out? I sure as hell wouldn't bother getting blood on the Swiss
Army gent's knife.
rbowman
2018-05-17 14:12:47 UTC
Post by Unquestionably Confused
That said, I have to say that in over 50 years of involvement with the
courts (law enforcement and other) I can't recall ever seeing a charge
placed based upon a per se knife (i.e. blade >3").
Knife charges? Sure, but it's always been a common sense (rarity, I
know) charge where the police placed the charge based upon its use as a
deadly weapon. Obviously, before they were recently legalized,
automatics and switchblades, which fell into the per se category were
considered contraband and possession would wind up getting you charged
criminally.
FWIW, even in Illinois it's pretty much "don't do something stupid with
your knife and you won't have a problem"; act the idiot and you can
expect to be made an example of.
I did get the impression the kid was a living example of stupid. I had a
classic Italian stiletto type switchblade that a NYS Trooper relieved me
of one night. Textbook example of making sure your tail lights are
working when you are young and suspicious. Other than a fix it ticket,
no charges. From the way he was playing with it I figure he wanted a new
toy.
Post by Unquestionably Confused
The only knife I own/carry with a blade <3" is a little sterling silver
Swiss Army Gent's Pocket knife. I always joke with the security guys at
the courthouse about it. If I had that knife in my pocket and my Cross
mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket, guess which one I'd use to take
somebody out? I sure as hell wouldn't bother getting blood on the Swiss
Army gent's knife.
Knives are sort of a fashion accessory around here. I did have a
security guard at the SSI office take exception. "You can bring little
knives in. That's a big knife. Put it in your car." The courthouse has
never been a problem.

I've got a Swiss Army Officer's model I found on the shoulder of a road
years ago. I've never carried it. Cute little blade, about as useful as
the scissors.