Dow falls 1 percent as China-U.S. trade spat intensifies
Bod
2018-04-04 16:43:24 UTC
(Reuters) - The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped just over 1 percent
on Wednesday as *big U.S. manufacturers and chipmakers bore the brunt of
a deepening trade conflict between China and the United States*.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks/dow-falls-1-percent-as-china-u-s-trade-spat-intensifies-idUKKCN1HB1FM
Bod
trader_4
2018-04-04 17:08:32 UTC
Post by Bod
(Reuters) - The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped just over 1 percent
on Wednesday as *big U.S. manufacturers and chipmakers bore the brunt of
a deepening trade conflict between China and the United States*.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks/dow-falls-1-percent-as-china-u-s-trade-spat-intensifies-idUKKCN1HB1FM
--
Bod
It's OK, trade wars are a good thing and easy to win!
War on!

Another example of how foolish this is, Trump did not even make a case
to the WTO on any of this. That's because facts don't matter and he's
not interested in making his case. We have a process for addressing
specific trade issues, he refused to even try to use them.
It's all rhetoric and BS for the trumpets. We'll see how it pans out.
I would think the effects will be felt before the November elections.
I wonder how the soybean, pork, producers in those red states will
vote? How about the Boeing employees when China shifts orders to
Airbus and they get laid off? BMW manufactures cars here, they are
on the list of losers too. I think they are in SC, another red state.
dpb
2018-04-04 19:35:01 UTC
Post by trader_4
Post by Bod
[...]
Don't panic (or gloat); at the moment the Dow has regained roughly half
of that back today; it's at roughly a 10% correction off all-time
historic high which isn't at all a bad thing to happen for a while...

Meanwhile over the last calendar year it's +16.5% while since the
election over 34%.

As far as "trade war"; Trump's doing what he promised and ran on; deal
unilaterally as the US rather than via world groups such as WTO. China
can't actually impose the threatened tariffs until _after_ the actual
application of US sanctions which have time before they're actually
implemented; meanwhile there's something like six weeks to two months
for the behind-the-scenes negotiations.

It's public posturing at this point building negotiating strength;
markets always overreact and in the current-day with the programmed
trading driving most of the volume, it's essentially a positive feedback
mechanism in the short term of a day's trade; meanwhile you notice that
after the morning large negative opening the opportunists jump in and by
noon or thereabouts back in positive territory.

trader_4
2018-04-04 20:07:57 UTC
Post by dpb
Post by trader_4
Post by Bod
[...]
You give far more credence to Trump being sane and having a plan than I do. If he's rational and has a plan, how do you explain him starting this up with China now, on the eve of his grand summit with KJU, when he needs China to help with a nuke crisis? Is he so delusional that he thinks he has that solved?
Uncle Monster
2018-04-04 20:15:47 UTC
Post by trader_4
Post by dpb
Post by dpb
markets always overreact and in the current-day with the programmed
trading driving most of the volume, it's essentially a positive feedback
mechanism in the short term of a day's trade; meanwhile you notice that
after the morning large negative opening the opportunists jump in and by
noon or thereabouts back in positive territory.
Traitor_4ever, you and Bodyless need to get to Washington D.C. right now, kick Trump out of The White House and show what a couple of blokes with a superior intellect and moral superiority can do to save the world! Get going guys and save us! Save the world from Trump! O_o

[8~{} Uncle Terrified Monster
BurfordTJustice

Dev Null
2018-04-04 21:23:02 UTC
Post by trader_4
You give far more credence to Trump being sane and having a plan than I do. If he's rational and has a plan, how do you explain him starting this up with China now, on the eve of his grand summit with KJU, when he needs China to help with a nuke crisis? Is he so delusional that he thinks he has that solved?
It's time to stop cowering in the bushes, son.

Are you going to grab a weapon and help fight these evil sumbitches or raise your laced white kerchief and surrender?
dpb
2018-04-04 22:53:44 UTC
Post by trader_4
Post by dpb
As far as "trade war"; Trump's doing what he promised and ran on; deal
unilaterally as the US rather than via world groups such as WTO. China
can't actually impose the threatened tariffs until _after_ the actual
application of US sanctions which have time before they're actually
implemented; meanwhile there's something like six weeks to two months
for the behind-the-scenes negotiations.
It's public posturing at this point building negotiating strength;
You give far more credence to Trump being sane and having a plan than
I do. If he's rational and has a plan, how do you explain him
starting this up with China now, on the eve of his grand summit with
KJU, when he needs China to help with a nuke crisis? Is he so
delusional that he thinks he has that solved?

He's quite sane(*) and has an agenda and doesn't much give a fig about
past protocol. He's also somewhat flighty in his attention span but
there are certain general areas of consistency that his overall
intentions and thinking on doesn't much change in the big picture; trade
policy and border protection being the two most obvious.

Tend to the "bull in the china shop" approach? -- sure, but heck, the
ChiComs certainly know where they stand and it may well be there's
actually been some benefit in that they have been much more aggressive
in their stance w/ N Korea since than ever were before--that's
inscrutable as to whether was or was not actually a factor, but the
timing appears interesting if nothing else.

As for the latter, I don't think TheDonald ties one subject to the other
much or even at all; trade is trade and NKorea is NKorea. Pretty
clearly, the little dictator with the bad haircut sees the handwriting
on the wall that his party is about to be over entirely if he doesn't
come to heel; with prior administrations it was clear he could pull
their chain indefinitely and never face any truly serious consequences;
don't believe he thinks that now.

(*) Someone with a a hyperactive personality and opinions that one may
disagree with doesn't qualify the other person as being "insane" albeit
there appear many who just can't get past the fact he is, in fact, the
POTUS as non-traditional-for-the-position an individual as he is. Given
my choice, I'd at least break his thumbs, but overall he's had a
definite positive impact on the business climate to date and changed the
tone of defeatism and acceptance of declining prosperity similar to what
Carter espoused and Reagan counteracted.

ChairMan
2018-04-05 04:55:50 UTC
Post by dpb
On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 3:35:11 PM UTC-4, dpb
Post by dpb
[...]
Not to mention he can use it(tariffs) as a bargaining chip
with China to help them get on board with NK
Dove Tail
2018-04-05 12:20:14 UTC
Not to mention he can use it(tariffs) as a bargaining chip with China
to help them get on board with NK
And China, as the 2nd largest holder of US debt, can stop showing up
for treasury auctions.

Trump is playing checkers against a group of Asians that are playing
three dimensional chess.
--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"
Bod
2018-04-05 12:27:01 UTC
Post by Dove Tail
Not to mention he can use it(tariffs) as a bargaining chip with China
to help them get on board with NK
And China, as the 2nd largest holder of US debt, can stop showing up
for treasury auctions.
Trump is playing checkers against a group of Asians that are playing
three dimensional chess.
That's a good way of putting it, Dove
Bod
BurfordTJustice
: Bod
trader_4
2018-04-05 14:39:19 UTC
Post by dpb
[...]
Yeah, that seems like a brilliant strategy. From all appearances,
China has been onboard with helping with NK. They have certainly
publicly moved away from NK and toward the US compared to their
and he said he no longer considered them a currency manipulator,
which was one of his main accusations during the campaign.
So, it looks to me like pure insanity for Trump to be sticking
his finger in China's eye right now, on the eve of his historic
grand summit with KJU.

More likely I'd say is that Trump believes that through his sheer
greatness he's already got KJU to agree to denuclearization, so that's
over and he can move on to fixing Chynna's wagon. Just another day
in the Trump loony bin.
BurfordTJustice
2018-04-05 15:20:27 UTC
"trader_4" <***@optonline.net> wrote in message news:6e7e870a-ddf5-4c15-8263-***@googlegroups.com...
:

to quote trader, "you are a fucking moron"
k***@notreal.com
2018-04-08 00:32:03 UTC
Post by dpb
[...]
Don't forget them as a bargaining chip to help force them to respect
IP.

trader_4
2018-04-05 16:19:34 UTC
Post by dpb
Post by trader_4
Post by dpb
As far as "trade war"; Trump's doing what he promised and ran on; deal
unilaterally as the US rather than via world groups such as WTO. China
can't actually impose the threatened tariffs until _after_ the actual
application of US sanctions which have time before they're actually
implemented; meanwhile there's something like six weeks to two months
for the behind-the-scenes negotiations.
It's public posturing at this point building negotiating strength;
You give far more credence to Trump being sane and having a plan than
I do. If he's rational and has a plan, how do you explain him
starting this up with China now, on the eve of his grand summit with
KJU, when he needs China to help with a nuke crisis? Is he so
delusional that he thinks he has that solved?
He's quite sane(*)
Was he sane when he told America at the GOP debate that he met Putin
at 60 Minutes, got to know him, "we were stablemates"? It never
happened, so either he's a sane liar or can't distinguish reality from
fantasy. At the very least, he's a narcissistic megalomaniac, you
can see that almost every day. It's all about Trump, Trump, Trump,
how great he is, falsely claiming how his electoral win was the
biggest since Reagan, how his crowd was bigger than Obama;s, constantly
reliving the election.

Post by dpb
past protocol. He's also somewhat flighty in his attention span but
there are certain general areas of consistency that his overall
intentions and thinking on doesn't much change in the big picture; trade
policy and border protection being the two most obvious.
Consistency in intentions? Let's look at immigration. During the
campaign he was all over the place. He promised to deport all 11 mil
illegals in just a year or two with a deportation force, no if's ands
or buts. Then he said that he's always believed in a merit approach,
that the illegals that have been here for a long time, you have to have
a merit system. He threw the DACA people under the bus, then he said,
don't worry, the GOP is here to help you. In the previous negotiations
Trump was offered a deal to legalize not only DACA, but another 800K
beyond that. In exchange he would have had funding for his wall.
Trump screwed the pooch, turned it down, over what? He insisted that
there had to also be an end to what he calls chain migration. He just
signed a record spending bill that has not a dime in it for his new
wall. And then he comes out and tries to tell the DACA people that
he's on their side? Maybe that sounds like an agenda and plan to you,
it sure sounds like insanity to me.
Post by dpb
Tend to the "bull in the china shop" approach? -- sure, but heck, the
ChiComs certainly know where they stand
No, I'd say the problem is that neither China nor our allies knows
where Trump stands on anything. One week it's NATO is obsolete,
that the US may not honor our treaty obligation, that we may not
come to the defense of NATO countries that are attacked, the next
is well, maybe NATO is OK.

and it may well be there's
Post by dpb
actually been some benefit in that they have been much more aggressive
in their stance w/ N Korea since than ever were before--that's
inscrutable as to whether was or was not actually a factor, but the
timing appears interesting if nothing else.
My point was that I agree that China has been more helpful than ever
before. Trump said he was going to lay off them on trade, he dropped
his accusations that they were manipulating their currency. That
was for the past year. So, it's totally insane to now start going
after China on trade on the eve of his summit with KJU. It doesnt
fit with any strategy, it fits with Trump being impulsive and
uncontrolled.
Post by dpb
As for the latter, I don't think TheDonald ties one subject to the other
much or even at all; trade is trade and NKorea is NKorea.
Which shows what? That he's ignorant and unfit for the office.

Pretty
Post by dpb
clearly, the little dictator with the bad haircut sees the handwriting
on the wall that his party is about to be over entirely if he doesn't
come to heel; with prior administrations it was clear he could pull
their chain indefinitely and never face any truly serious consequences;
don't believe he thinks that now.
So far, I see no evidence at all of that. Trump simply caved in, agreed
to a meeting, something that any other president could have done.
Even worse, he did it impulsively, again, without consulting or having
an discussions with his key advisers. The South Koreans who had met
with KJU showed up at the WH, not even to meet with Trump. He had them
come into meet with him, within an hour Trump poked his head into the
press room, to announce something big was coming. Shortly after, he
paraded the South Koreans out to announce he was going to meet with
KJU!

Now if that isn't stunning evidence that he's unfit, IDK what is.
The US had no way of knowing what KJU actually said, versus what
the SKs, think they heard, etc. Trump just filled impulsively.
Trump heard that KJU said he's willing to discuss denuclearization
and reacted as if that's something new. KJU said a year or more ago
that he would denuclearize if the US denuclearizes and gives up all
our nukes. Trump could be going to meet with KJU to get that message
and then what?
Post by dpb
(*) Someone with a a hyperactive personality and opinions that one may
disagree with doesn't qualify the other person as being "insane" albeit
there appear many who just can't get past the fact he is, in fact, the
POTUS as non-traditional-for-the-position an individual as he is. Given
my choice, I'd at least break his thumbs, but overall he's had a
definite positive impact on the business climate to date and changed the
tone of defeatism and acceptance of declining prosperity similar to what
Carter espoused and Reagan counteracted.
--
The problem is that for what limited good has come out of Trump, he's
divided this country like never before. He's pitting Americans against
perhaps forever.
BurfordTJustice

BurfordTJustice

: Bod
Dev Null
2018-04-04 21:09:27 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
So what?
: (Reuters) - The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped just over 1 percent
: on Wednesday as *big U.S. manufacturers and chipmakers bore the brunt of
: a deepening trade conflict between China and the United States*.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-stocks/dow-falls-1-percent-as-china-u-s-trade-spat-intensifies-idUKKCN1HB1FM
: --
: Bod
Time to fire up the factories. The Free World invented it and the Free World can build it.