water softener R & R
h***@ccanoemail.ca
2017-06-06 22:09:00 UTC
Hi All ;
I think I'm all set to replace my water softener - tomorrow.
Any tips or tricks are appreciated - I'm more of a WanneBe -
than a bona fide DIY'er.
I'm new to the shark-bite and pex plumbing - seems simple -
- I've checked a few web sites & Utube videos .. any advice is
appreciated.
Existing is 3/4 inch copper with single handle brass bypass valve.
Replacement is 3/4 inch but plastic bypass with two plastic "valves".

Q1 : screwing the 3/4 shark onto the plastic bypass -
- a few wraps of teflon and snug it up good ?
- special cement ? < brass - to - plastic ? >

Q2 : cutting pex without a proper tool ?
- heavy razor knife and care to keep square ?

Thanks in advance.
John T.
Oren
Wish I had a photo link posted.
h***@ccanoemail.ca
John T.
Oren
2017-06-06 23:55:02 UTC
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
Post by Oren
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
Q1 : screwing the 3/4 shark onto the plastic bypass -
- a few wraps of teflon and snug it up good ?
- special cement ? < brass - to - plastic ? >
Q2 : cutting pex without a proper tool ?
- heavy razor knife and care to keep square ?
Thanks in advance.
John T.
Wish I had a photo link posted.
Huh ?
John T.
We have these fancy gadgets to take photos and can be posted to show
the connection and what softener connections are needed. Even knowing
the particular softener brand, how it is plumbed goes a long way to
get a better answer.
h***@ccanoemail.ca
2017-06-07 00:39:17 UTC
Post by Oren
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
Post by Oren
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
Q1 : screwing the 3/4 shark onto the plastic bypass -
- a few wraps of teflon and snug it up good ?
- special cement ? < brass - to - plastic ? >
Q2 : cutting pex without a proper tool ?
- heavy razor knife and care to keep square ?
Thanks in advance.
John T.
Wish I had a photo link posted.
Huh ?
John T.
We have these fancy gadgets to take photos and can be posted to show
the connection and what softener connections are needed. Even knowing
the particular softener brand, how it is plumbed goes a long way to
get a better answer.
Thanks for the reply.
I doubt that detailed photographs will help with this.
.. it's 3/4 inch plumbing - Q1 and Q2 above.
The water softener installation instructions cannot
possibly cover every detail of all the various plumbing
considerations. They rightly assume that the installer is
an experienced plumber or at least a competent DIYer.
Any help with Q1 or Q2 above - appreciated.
John T.
Terry Coombs
2017-06-06 22:40:13 UTC
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
Hi All ;
I think I'm all set to replace my water softener - tomorrow.
Any tips or tricks are appreciated - I'm more of a WanneBe -
than a bona fide DIY'er.
I'm new to the shark-bite and pex plumbing - seems simple -
- I've checked a few web sites & Utube videos .. any advice is
appreciated.
Existing is 3/4 inch copper with single handle brass bypass valve.
Replacement is 3/4 inch but plastic bypass with two plastic "valves".
Q1 : screwing the 3/4 shark onto the plastic bypass -
- a few wraps of teflon and snug it up good ?
- special cement ? < brass - to - plastic ? >
Q2 : cutting pex without a proper tool ?
- heavy razor knife and care to keep square ?
Thanks in advance.
John T.
I've never used shark bite connectors , but I'm pretty sure they seal
with an o-ring , teflon tape is not needed . As far as cutting pex , do
you have a (power) miter saw ? I use mine to cut PVC and copper ...

Snag
h***@ccanoemail.ca
2017-06-06 22:54:17 UTC
Post by Terry Coombs
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
[...]
Shark - to - Shark is just a press in - on both ends.
Shark - to - screw is the question -
- the brass Shark screw - onto the plastic screw thread -
- what is needed here ?

John T.
Terry Coombs
2017-06-07 12:06:19 UTC
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
Post by Terry Coombs
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
[...]
http://www.truevalue.com/assets/product_images/styles/large/122538.jpg
John T.
OK , I didn't realize you had a threaded PVC fitting . Yes , by all
means use teflon tape on that joint . As far as the rest , I know
nothing about softener units and how to plumb them .

--

Snag

dadiOH
2017-06-07 11:49:39 UTC
Post by h***@ccanoemail.ca
Q2 : cutting pex without a proper tool ?
- heavy razor knife and care to keep square ?
A hack saw would be easier.