Question about cleaning black varnish off pots (and why corning pots are brown)?
Add Reply
Lacopo Ferrari
2017-01-05 19:28:54 UTC
1. This is how I ruined the wife's asparagus pot (by using it as a fryer):

2. This is her corning glass pan which she loves (but why is it brown)?

The first question is that I have already tried scrubbing with normal stuff
like Ajax and a scotch-brite pad and that stuff baked onto her asparagus
cooker from frying potato wedges is not going anywhere soon.

Is there a magic chemical for getting rid of that black sticky stuff?

The second question is simply why are all the corning glass pots brown?
Can't they make them clear like Pyrex measuring cups are?
dadiOH
2017-01-05 20:53:43 UTC
Post by Lacopo Ferrari
https://s30.postimg.org/amc98ptup/2_clean_pot.jpg
2. This is her corning glass pan which she loves (but why is it brown)?
https://s30.postimg.org/60z7cc43l/1_brown_glass.jpg
Yes. It is called "lye". Easy Off oven cleaner is lye.
Ed Pawlowski
2017-01-06 01:36:50 UTC
Post by Lacopo Ferrari
https://s30.postimg.org/amc98ptup/2_clean_pot.jpg
2. This is her corning glass pan which she loves (but why is it brown)?
https://s30.postimg.org/60z7cc43l/1_brown_glass.jpg
The first question is that I have already tried scrubbing with normal stuff
like Ajax and a scotch-brite pad and that stuff baked onto her asparagus
cooker from frying potato wedges is not going anywhere soon.
Is there a magic chemical for getting rid of that black sticky stuff?
The second question is simply why are all the corning glass pots brown?
Can't they make them clear like Pyrex measuring cups are?
Scrubbing is about useless. I'd try oven cleaner first,then perhaps an
acid.

The brown pot is Visionware. Corning stopped making it years ago
because it is crap to cook with. I don't know if it is colored for
visual effect or the compound to take the heat. My wife had a
visionware pot and it went into the trash with the burnt on the bottom
potatoes that stuck while boiling with water.

Treat your wife to a good quality pot. There are many, like AllClad
Farberware etc. Multi-layer material that give really good heat
distribution.
Oren
2017-01-06 02:09:03 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Treat your wife to a good quality pot. There are many, like AllClad
Farberware etc. Multi-layer material that give really good heat
distribution.
Check out the Cajun Rocket pot.

<http://stores.cajunrocketpot.com/>

Video: _How the Cajun RocketPot Works! _

Cindy Hamilton
2017-01-06 11:45:27 UTC
Post by Lacopo Ferrari
https://s30.postimg.org/amc98ptup/2_clean_pot.jpg
WTF? Even deep frying shouldn't put that much grease on the outside
of a pot. I'm surprised you didn't have a fire.

When my husband blew off the seasoning on my cast iron frying pan
by using it on a turkey fryer burner, I got him his own pan.
Perhaps you should get your own deep-frying pan.
Post by Lacopo Ferrari
2. This is her corning glass pan which she loves (but why is it brown)?
https://s30.postimg.org/60z7cc43l/1_brown_glass.jpg
Fashion. Plus, as you see, grease and scratches show up less.

Cindy Hamilton