In Supreme Court gay wedding cake case, Kennedy says state has not been tolerant of baker's religious views
Add Reply
BurfordTJustice
2017-12-06 11:50:13 UTC
Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy said during oral arguments on Tuesday
that Colorado did not appear to show religious tolerance when it used its
public accommodations law to force baker Jack Phillips to create speech via
a custom cake for a same-sex wedding that defies his religious beliefs.

The line of questioning garnered attention because Kennedy often serves as
the divided high court's key swing vote, and a split vote could form again
in Masterpiece Cakeshop Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission.

Kennedy pointedly criticized Colorado for not being "tolerant" of Phillips'
religious beliefs.
"Tolerance is essential in a free society. And tolerance is most meaningful
when it's mutual," Kennedy said. "It seems to me that the state in its
position here has been neither tolerant nor respectful of Mr. Phillips'
religious beliefs."
Uncle Monster
2017-12-06 14:16:36 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
Was there only ONE cake baker in Colorado?! I'm sure there are a number of bakeries close to the Christian bakery that are run by Queers who would be more than happy to bake a Gay Themed wedding cake! I could understand any legal action against the Christian bakery if it was the ONLY bakery in the city. I haven't heard anyone ask the question about the number of bakeries in the area. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Baked Monster
2017-12-06 17:37:48 UTC
Post by Uncle Monster
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
Someone down the street baked them one for free.
This is simple religious persecution.
Space Cadet
👍
ZZyXX
2017-12-07 02:21:32 UTC
Post by Uncle Monster
Was there only ONE cake baker in Colorado?! I'm sure there are a
number of bakeries close to the Christian bakery that are run by
Queers who would be more than happy to bake a Gay Themed wedding
cake! I could understand any legal action against the Christian
bakery if it was the ONLY bakery in the city. I haven't heard anyone
ask the question about the number of bakeries in the area. O_o
[8~{} Uncle Baked Monster
see, you can use "Queer" in a post, now all you have to do is try to use
"Nigger" in a post and you can drop all your pretenses when you speak
about Obama
trader_4
+1
Meanie
2017-12-07 12:03:15 UTC
Post by Uncle Monster
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
We need big daddy to watch over us and tell us how to live our lives and
run our businesses. Gone are the days when the sign reading "We have the
right to refuse any business" and replaced with "You have the right to
be a whining little liberal gay bitch and big daddy will have your back
because this is a weak nation"
Ed Pawlowski
2017-12-07 20:40:42 UTC
Post by Meanie
We need big daddy to watch over us and tell us how to live our lives and
run our businesses. Gone are the days when the sign reading "We have the
right to refuse any business" and replaced with "You have the right to
be a whining little liberal gay bitch and big daddy will have your back
because this is a weak nation"
I have the right to go to any business I want. The business should also
have the same right to refuse me for any reason they want. I'll just go
elsewhere.

Waste of tax dollars on this.
Meanie

Colonel Edmund J. Burke
When you say "oral arguments," can you be more specific?
Bubba
2017-12-07 09:48:58 UTC
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
I'd like to ask Jackass Phillips why God created homosexuals. Did she do it so bible-thumpin' morons would have something to hate?