stuck lock cylinder
Add Reply
dadiOH
2017-01-05 20:45:47 UTC
An entry lock on a French door is stuck. The knobs won't turn the cylinder
to retract the latch.

I removed the handles, can't budge the cylinder; i.e, get it to retract.

I pulled the hinge pins hoping I could remove the door; can't, not enough
play between the latch and keeper to swing or push the hinge side of the
door off the hinge knuckles.

If I could swing both the active door - the one with the latch - and the
passive door at the same time, that might work but I can't because the
passive door has side bolts at top and bottom of the inside edge and the
only way to get at them is when the active door is open.

If I cut off the portion of the cylinder that is visible after removing the
knobs, I still couldn't open it because the remaining portion is still
screwed to the edge of the door.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the cylinder out or open the door? Beating
the door to a pulp is not an option :)

Thanks...
Oren
2017-01-05 23:57:46 UTC
Post by dadiOH
[...]
Any chance you can post a link to the lock model, showing an exploded
view? Showing the parts.
Ed Pawlowski
2017-01-06 01:47:39 UTC
Post by dadiOH
An entry lock on a French door is stuck. The knobs won't turn the cylinder
to retract the latch.
I removed the handles, can't budge the cylinder; i.e, get it to retract.
Anyone have any ideas how to get the cylinder out or open the door? Beating
the door to a pulp is not an option :)
Thanks...
Yes, Chris Young, but he passed a few month back. Your post is a
reminder of his as he did locksmithing.
philo
2017-01-06 08:44:46 UTC
Post by dadiOH
[...]
First I'd just give the door a firm whack near the center hinge, it
really should dislodge even if a tight fit.

otherwide:

You should be able to get a sawzall blade between the doors and cut the
latchbolt (springbolt)
Thomas
2017-01-06 09:43:54 UTC
Here is to hoping you got some lube in it.
trader_4
2017-01-06 15:40:15 UTC
Post by dadiOH
[...]
Have you sprayed it with PB Blaster? Worked it with the key? Let it
soak for a day? Repeat?