stuck lock cylinder
dadiOH
2017-01-05 20:45:47 UTC
An entry lock on a French door is stuck. The knobs won't turn the cylinder
to retract the latch.

I removed the handles, can't budge the cylinder; i.e, get it to retract.

I pulled the hinge pins hoping I could remove the door; can't, not enough
play between the latch and keeper to swing or push the hinge side of the
door off the hinge knuckles.

If I could swing both the active door - the one with the latch - and the
passive door at the same time, that might work but I can't because the
passive door has side bolts at top and bottom of the inside edge and the
only way to get at them is when the active door is open.

If I cut off the portion of the cylinder that is visible after removing the
knobs, I still couldn't open it because the remaining portion is still
screwed to the edge of the door.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the cylinder out or open the door? Beating
the door to a pulp is not an option :)

Thanks...
Oren
2017-01-05 23:57:46 UTC
Post by dadiOH
[...]
Any chance you can post a link to the lock model, showing an exploded
view? Showing the parts.
Ed Pawlowski
2017-01-06 01:47:39 UTC
Post by dadiOH
An entry lock on a French door is stuck. The knobs won't turn the cylinder
to retract the latch.
I removed the handles, can't budge the cylinder; i.e, get it to retract.
Anyone have any ideas how to get the cylinder out or open the door? Beating
the door to a pulp is not an option :)
Thanks...
Yes, Chris Young, but he passed a few month back. Your post is a
reminder of his as he did locksmithing.
philo
2017-01-06 08:44:46 UTC
Post by dadiOH
[...]
First I'd just give the door a firm whack near the center hinge, it
really should dislodge even if a tight fit.

otherwide:

You should be able to get a sawzall blade between the doors and cut the
latchbolt (springbolt)
dadiOH
2017-01-06 17:41:58 UTC
Post by dadiOH
[...]
I'm thinking you are right, about the only way is to cut it off.

A sawzall would do it but it would also screw up the stop on the inside of
the passive door unless I could keep the blade close to vertical. A little
detail tool could do it but my experience with those is that the blades last
for about 3 nails. I'm going to use an angle grinder with a cutoff blade,
there is enough space between the doors so it should do the job with a
minimum of damage except maybe/probably to the strike plate. I probably
have more of those and if not, they are cheap.

A big mahalo (thanks) to you and to all who replied.
philo
2017-01-06 17:48:01 UTC
Post by dadiOH
Post by philo
should dislodge even if a tight fit.
You should be able to get a sawzall blade between the doors and cut the
latchbolt (springbolt)
I'm thinking you are right, about the only way is to cut it off.
A sawzall would do it but it would also screw up the stop on the inside of
the passive door unless I could keep the blade close to vertical. A little
detail tool could do it but my experience with those is that the blades last
for about 3 nails. I'm going to use an angle grinder with a cutoff blade,
there is enough space between the doors so it should do the job with a
minimum of damage except maybe/probably to the strike plate. I probably
have more of those and if not, they are cheap.
A big mahalo (thanks) to you and to all who replied.
ok, hope you get the door open soon, your wife is probably getting
hungry in there!
trader_4
I haven't tried it, but what about drilling out the lock cylinder?
Thomas
2017-01-06 09:43:54 UTC
Here is to hoping you got some lube in it.
trader_4
2017-01-06 15:40:15 UTC
Post by dadiOH
[...]
Have you sprayed it with PB Blaster? Worked it with the key? Let it
soak for a day? Repeat?
Tekkie®
2017-01-06 20:25:10 UTC
dadiOH posted for all of us...
Post by dadiOH
[...]
I'm confused is the cylinder itself stuck/won't rotate or is the bolt itself
that won't move. Have you removed all the knobs, escutcheon, etc to get to
the bolt? Usually the bolt mechanism has a slot or opening that allows the
cylinder to meet inside/outside. I have stuck a screwdriver in a slot and
whacked it with a hammer to move the bolt-toward the hinges.
Tekkie
trader_4
2017-01-06 20:37:40 UTC
Post by Tekkie®
dadiOH posted for all of us...
Post by dadiOH
[...]
Good points. Usually all that comes off from the inside and you're
left with just the latch mechanism in the door which can be moved
with a screwdriver, etc. The problem is when you can't take the
stuff off because you can't get to the other side of the door.
But with this door, I think he has access to both sides.
dadiOH
2017-01-06 22:47:08 UTC
Post by Tekkie®
dadiOH posted for all of us...
Post by dadiOH
[...]
I misspoke using "cylinder"' It is not the part that turms with a key ot
knob but that which is actuated by doing that; the bolt/latch mechanism.
All is off the door, just a big hole left with the latch mechanism; I have
whacked, pushed, pulled, pried, it won't move, no idea why. Well, I CAN move
its innards a bit but doing so doesn't retract the bolt.
Oren
2017-01-07 03:15:37 UTC
Post by dadiOH
I misspoke using "cylinder"' It is not the part that turms with a key ot
knob but that which is actuated by doing that; the bolt/latch mechanism.
All is off the door, just a big hole left with the latch mechanism; I have
whacked, pushed, pulled, pried, it won't move, no idea why. Well, I CAN move
its innards a bit but doing so doesn't retract the bolt.
Does the latch have something that looks like/similar to a "cam" say
1/4" long? If so try flipping it to the other position.
dadiOH
If it does, it is not in the visible portion.
TimR
2017-01-08 15:04:27 UTC
If the knobs won't turn to retract the bolt,

and if with the knobs off you can't manually turn the little thing that retracts the bolt,

then it seems likely that the bolt itself is somehow jammed in its slot or track.

I'm not sure how that would happen. One possibility is that the door itself has dropped or shifted and is putting sideways pressure on the bolt. If so, you might free it by shoving the door different directions.

But I think cutting the bolt through the crack between doors is going to be your most likely way to proceed. Unless this is a security hardened bolt, which seems unlikely, just grab a hacksaw blade, wrap a little duct tape for a handle, and go at it. It will be slow but with a sharp new blade you should be through in a few minutes. I would call that a two beer job, maybe 2.5.