Gas fireplace with heating that can work without electricity
Add Reply
Ignoramus28406
2017-01-06 14:53:52 UTC
I am planning my home remodeling. I have a gas fireplace that is only
for looks and produces barely any heat and wastes a lot of gas.

I would like to have a fireplace that can effectively heat the
house.

The catch is that I want one that is able to work with and without
electric blowers, perhaps at reduced efficiency if the blower is not
running.

The reason, somewhat obvious, is that I want to have emergency heat
when there is no electricity.

Is there anything of the sort.

Thanks
Dean Hoffman
2017-01-06 15:00:04 UTC
Post by Ignoramus28406
I am planning my home remodeling. I have a gas fireplace that is only
for looks and produces barely any heat and wastes a lot of gas.
I would like to have a fireplace that can effectively heat the
house.
The catch is that I want one that is able to work with and without
electric blowers, perhaps at reduced efficiency if the blower is not
running.
The reason, somewhat obvious, is that I want to have emergency heat
when there is no electricity.
Is there anything of the sort.
Thanks
There were floor furnaces that worked like that years ago. No
fan, though. The thermostat worked off the furnace itself somehow.
w***@everywhere.com
2017-01-06 16:16:03 UTC
On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 08:53:52 -0600, Ignoramus28406
Post by Ignoramus28406
I am planning my home remodeling. I have a gas fireplace that is only
for looks and produces barely any heat and wastes a lot of gas.
I would like to have a fireplace that can effectively heat the
house.
The catch is that I want one that is able to work with and without
electric blowers, perhaps at reduced efficiency if the blower is not
running.
The reason, somewhat obvious, is that I want to have emergency heat
when there is no electricity.
Is there anything of the sort.
Thanks
When the power goes out, YOU become the blower. You'll have to put your
mouth up to a flexible rubber tube, and blow real hard. You sound like
someone who has had a lot of practice blowing tubes, so this should not
be too difficult for you.
CRNG
2017-01-06 16:24:56 UTC
Post by Ignoramus28406
I am planning my home remodeling. I have a gas fireplace that is only
for looks and produces barely any heat and wastes a lot of gas.
I would like to have a fireplace that can effectively heat the
house.
The catch is that I want one that is able to work with and without
electric blowers, perhaps at reduced efficiency if the blower is not
running.
The reason, somewhat obvious, is that I want to have emergency heat
when there is no electricity.
Is there anything of the sort.
Thanks
Take a look at these.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=gas+burning+heaters&Nty=1&D=gas+burning+heaters&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=HeatersStoves&utm_campaign=Generic&utm_content=gas%20burning%20heaters&mkwid=smCs7sNUY&pcrid=114678208751&mtype=p&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&gclid=CNqK15D0rdECFU4vgQodg_cAFg

Add a small floor fan if you want to move more heat.
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=Floor%20Fans&cat_id=0
Ed Pawlowski
2017-01-06 16:28:13 UTC
Post by Ignoramus28406
I am planning my home remodeling. I have a gas fireplace that is only
for looks and produces barely any heat and wastes a lot of gas.
I would like to have a fireplace that can effectively heat the
house.
The catch is that I want one that is able to work with and without
electric blowers, perhaps at reduced efficiency if the blower is not
running.
The reason, somewhat obvious, is that I want to have emergency heat
when there is no electricity.
Is there anything of the sort.
Thanks
Never saw a with/without but that does not mean they don't exist.
Getting something not dependent on electric is smart. My son has a free
standing stove in his house. You can find one that sits in the
fireplace opening.

Some heat is always better than no heat. Biggest hurdle is circulating
it through the house with no fans.
trader_4
2017-01-06 16:36:27 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Ignoramus28406
[...]
Aside from the blower, he needs to find one where it can be lit without
electricity. IDK all what's available, but a lot of them now are
electric ignition, gas valve, etc.

Heatilator is one major suppliers of fireplaces meant for heating.