Fire damaged Briggs & Stratton 5.5HP horizontal engine - repair or replace?
bari-old-dad
2008-03-17 22:25:28 UTC
My leaf vacuum tow-behind tipped over on its side while the engine was
running. A fire ensued and most of the plastic parts - fuel tank, air
filter housing, pull-start, etc. - were vaporized or incinerated
beyond recognition. The block appears to be fine and makes glug-glug
noises when I turn the blower impeller.

I am reasonably handy - self-performed car repairs on occasion like
alternators, even a carburetor rebuild many years ago. Any advice
whether it would be foolhardy to buy replacement parts and rebuild the
existing engine, versus just buying a new one? I think I might save
between 100 and 200 USD if I just buy parts (and it works when I'm
finished).

Also - are other small engines designed to fit where the B&S used to
sit? E.G. I see a "Duro-Power" on the net that has fewer plastic parts
and looks very similar.

Advice welcomed . . . TIA

John in Ohio
Harry K
2008-03-18 02:14:26 UTC
Post by bari-old-dad
[...]
Internally the engine should be fine, the carb _may_ be salvageable
but I wouldn't bet one it.. You might have to replace the crank oil
seals. I suspect that you will find the coast of needed parts will
come close to equally a new engine.

Most small engines are built for standard mounting bolt patterns and
crank shaft diameter. Clearance to housings, etc., may be a concern.

Harry K.
h***@aol.com
2008-03-18 12:52:36 UTC
make a list check it twice visit a local B&S dealer and probably find
a new engine is cheaper than all the parts needed.

dont buy the parts just get a quote then go him and think about it
Bob F
2008-03-18 20:20:02 UTC
Post by bari-old-dad
My leaf vacuum tow-behind tipped over on its side while the engine was
running. A fire ensued and most of the plastic parts - fuel tank, air
filter housing, pull-start, etc. - were vaporized or incinerated
beyond recognition. The block appears to be fine and makes glug-glug
noises when I turn the blower impeller.
I am reasonably handy - self-performed car repairs on occasion like
alternators, even a carburetor rebuild many years ago. Any advice
whether it would be foolhardy to buy replacement parts and rebuild the
existing engine, versus just buying a new one? I think I might save
between 100 and 200 USD if I just buy parts (and it works when I'm
finished).
Also - are other small engines designed to fit where the B&S used to
sit? E.G. I see a "Duro-Power" on the net that has fewer plastic parts
and looks very similar.
Find a mower or something used with the same basic motor and either swap the
motor or the parts as needed.
Pete C.
2008-03-18 21:26:07 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by bari-old-dad
[...]
Get an identical replacement for the ~$200 from
http://www.northerntool.com or similar and keep the remains of the
incinerated one as a source of parts to maintain the new one.
Harry K
2008-03-19 02:12:07 UTC
Post by bari-old-dad
[...]
If you do decide to repair it, find a junker from your neighbor for
most of the parts. If that fails, see your local "small engine guy".
They always have a pile of junkers out back. You may find all you
need off one of them at a big discount.

Harry K
Beth Decker
2018-05-17 01:14:05 UTC
replying to bari-old-dad, Beth Decker wrote:
We replaced all the parts when our BCS tiller got burned in a house fire. (10
hp). It is still with us, and the fire and replacement was 5/23/1989

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/fire-damaged-briggs-stratton-5-5hp-horizontal-engine-rep-294421-.htm