A/C vs. swamp cooler?
KenK
2018-05-07 13:36:24 UTC
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.

Thoughts?

TIA
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
2018-05-07 13:44:54 UTC
Post by KenK
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.
Thoughts?
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room. Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.
Warren wanked William while Wendy wildly wobbled Wayne's Willy within warm water.
a***@yahoo.com
2018-05-07 14:05:56 UTC
Post by Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Post by KenK
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.
Thoughts?
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room. Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.
You must have different "real AC units". Mine won't run in
reverse. It's pretty much exactly like this:
<https://www.goodmanmfg.com/resources/heating-cooling-101/how-central-ac-systems-work>
Except it and the supply air ducts are located in the basement of my single-story house.

Cindy Hamilton
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
2018-05-07 14:08:38 UTC
Post by KenK
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.
Thoughts?
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room. Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.
You must have different "real AC units". Mine won't run in
<https://www.goodmanmfg.com/resources/heating-cooling-101/how-central-ac-systems-work>
Except it and the supply air ducts are located in the basement of my single-story house.
Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse the pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able to do this. The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling, or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
--
How do you scare a man?
Sneak up behind him and start throwing rice.
dpb
2018-05-07 14:21:36 UTC
On 5/7/2018 9:08 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards?  You just reverse the
pump.  Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able
to do this.  The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling,
or automatic.  On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C)
and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
Those aren't "just" AC units; they're heat pumps specifically designed
and built to do so....an AC unit is just that; the condenser/compressor
connected in cool mode without all the other auxiliary arrangements to
operate in heat/cool mode.

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
2018-05-07 14:32:13 UTC
Post by dpb
Post by Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse the
pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able
to do this. The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling,
or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C)
and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
Those aren't "just" AC units; they're heat pumps specifically designed
and built to do so....an AC unit is just that; the condenser/compressor
connected in cool mode without all the other auxiliary arrangements to
operate in heat/cool mode.
How hard is it to make a motor run in reverse?
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, "dam".
dpb
2018-05-07 15:02:27 UTC
Post by dpb
Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards?  You just reverse the
pump.  Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able
to do this.  The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling,
or automatic.  On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C)
and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
Those aren't "just" AC units; they're heat pumps specifically designed
and built to do so....an AC unit is just that; the condenser/compressor
connected in cool mode without all the other auxiliary arrangements to
operate in heat/cool mode.
How hard is it to make a motor run in reverse?
That's not what is done; what _is_ done is much more efficient but just
reversing the motor on an AC unit won't "get 'er done" in reality.

<http://www.refrigerationbasics.com/RBIII/heat_pumps1.htm>

Peeler
2018-05-07 15:32:00 UTC
On Mon, 7 May 2018 10:02:27 -0500, dpb, another troll-feeding dumbass,
Post by dpb
That's not what is done; what _is_ done is much more efficient but just
reversing the motor on an AC unit won't "get 'er done" in reality.
What is done is that the filthy Scottish sow sets out one bait after another
for you senile Yankietards, and you idiot keep taking them ALL, time and
again ...even after you know better already! LOL
Peeler
These senile Yankietards just DON'T get it! LMAO
Ed Pawlowski
2018-05-07 14:27:17 UTC
Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards?  You just reverse the
pump.  Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able
to do this.  The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling,
or automatic.  On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C)
and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
For most of us, no need. We only use cooling here for two months. We
have very efficient central heat and the AC goes into a window in the
summer for cooling only. It can also get very cold here.

In more mild areas, central AC with heat pump is common and works well.
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
2018-05-07 14:33:04 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
Post by Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse the
pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able
to do this. The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling,
or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C)
and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
For most of us, no need. We only use cooling here for two months. We
have very efficient central heat and the AC goes into a window in the
summer for cooling only. It can also get very cold here.
In more mild areas, central AC with heat pump is common and works well.
If you only cool for 2 months, I assume you heat for more than that. Why wouldn't you want a heat pump for that? Why wouldn't you want them both to be the same unit?
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, "dam".
trader_4
2018-05-07 14:51:54 UTC
Post by Ed Pawlowski
[...]
You know so damn much, why are you asking us? Go figure it out yourself.
I for one, won't educate you. All you do is turn your troll questions into
a 300 post thread of BS.
Peeler
2018-05-07 15:30:26 UTC
Take a guess, tardo_4! <VBG>
Peeler
2018-05-07 14:57:42 UTC
On Mon, 7 May 2018 10:27:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski, the notorious,
Post by Ed Pawlowski
For most of us, no need.
ALL you senile idiots need is some filthy Scottish troll you can suck off!
<tsk>
Unquestionably Confused
2018-05-07 14:36:47 UTC
[snip]
Post by Jimmy Wilkinson Knife
Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse
the pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has
been able to do this. The controller usually has settings for
heating, cooling, or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a
range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under,
it heats.
What you're describing is what is referred to a split unit system or
inverter. After screwing around with a through the wall A/C unit which
was noisier than all get out in the size needed to cool the addition, I
finally got smart and picked up a split system (air handler inside,
compressor/inverter outside). What a difference. Very quiet (hard to
tell it's running, actually), and much cheaper than our old A/C unit.
And, as you say, when heat is needed, the system reverses itself and
heats the interior drawing heat from outside even when it's in the 20F
degree range outside.
Peeler
2018-05-07 14:59:10 UTC
That was good one, idiot! LOL
Peeler
2018-05-07 14:54:25 UTC
EVERYTHING about you troll-feeding retard is "reversed"! <tsk>
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2018-05-07 15:36:11 UTC
Post by KenK
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.
Thoughts?
It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room. Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.
You must have different "real AC units". Mine won't run in
<https://www.goodmanmfg.com/resources/heating-cooling-101/how-central-ac-systems-work>
Except it and the supply air ducts are located in the basement of my single-story house.
Cindy Hamilton
It's his peabrain which runs in reverse.
LOL

Uncle Monster
2018-05-07 14:17:10 UTC
Post by KenK
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.
Thoughts?
TIA
--
Swamp Coolers for homes work great in arid areas of the world but not where I'm from which is the Southeastern U.S. where the humidity can be cut with a knife during the Summer months. I had customers who had swamp coolers at their business. They were dry cleaners/laundries and some small manufacturing companies where the cost of air conditioning would have been astronomical in the production areas. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Swamp Monster
trader_4
2018-05-07 14:23:49 UTC
Post by KenK
Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small
window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly
more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a
lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with
a cooler despite decades of using one.
Thoughts?
TIA
I would suspect the AC will use significantly more. Compressing gas in an
AC is going to take significantly more energy than a pump moving a small
amount of water a short distance. They both have fans, though the AC
needs more fan power too, because it has to blow air through the condenser
coils too. In fact, using less energy is probably the main feature of
a swamp cooler. How much that comes to in $$ will of course depend on
the size, climate and hours it's run.