Metal tariffs: A nonsensical solution in search of a problem
Bod
2018-08-10 06:41:15 UTC
President Trump’s tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum are so
ill-conceived that even those meant to benefit from them are crying out
for relief. Citing a lack of domestic supply, Alcoa this week requested
that the Trump administration grant the company an exemption from
tariffs on aluminum imports from Canada.

They’re going to have to get in line. The Commerce Department says that
it has already received over 20,000 such requests to be excluded from
steel and aluminum tariffs.

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/401097-metal-tariffs-a-nonsensical-solution-in-search-of-a-problem
Bod
Bod
2018-08-10 07:08:14 UTC
Post by Bod
President Trump’s tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum are so
ill-conceived that even those meant to benefit from them are crying out
for relief. Citing a lack of domestic supply, Alcoa this week requested
that the Trump administration grant the company an exemption from
tariffs on aluminum imports from Canada.
They’re going to have to get in line. The Commerce Department says that
it has already received over 20,000 such requests to be excluded from
steel and aluminum tariffs.
http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/401097-metal-tariffs-a-nonsensical-solution-in-search-of-a-problem
(Trump) "trade wars are easy to win".
Bod
BurfordTJustice

: Bod
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)
2018-08-10 14:31:01 UTC
On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 07:49:10 -0400, "BurfordTJustice"
Post by BurfordTJustice
Buy British or STFU and move.
Trade war or damp squid? I'm confused. I'm not feeling any pain
whatsoever. So solly. I suspect though that buying American is something
people are avoiding. You are just being fucking irritating so guess
what, you lose some of our business. Stupid or what. Worse though, for
you, long term your customers won't come back if they find an equal or
better alternative supplier.
Post by BurfordTJustice
[...]
Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.
--
p-0.0-h the cat

punk ass dole whore troll, religious maniac, lycanthropic schizotypal lesbian,
the most complete ignoid, joker, and furball.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Uncle Monster
2018-08-10 07:44:48 UTC
Post by Bod
President Trump’s tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum are so
ill-conceived that even those meant to benefit from them are crying out
for relief. Citing a lack of domestic supply, Alcoa this week requested
that the Trump administration grant the company an exemption from
tariffs on aluminum imports from Canada.
They’re going to have to get in line. The Commerce Department says that
it has already received over 20,000 such requests to be excluded from
steel and aluminum tariffs.
http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/401097-metal-tariffs-a-nonsensical-solution-in-search-of-a-problem
--
Bod
And this has affected you how? Has it cost you any money? Has any of your property been taken from you? Have your rights been violated? Have you been kicked out of your home? Do you own a factory that you're turning over to the Chinese? Has anything President Trump said or done harmed you in any way? O_o

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster
BurfordTJustice

: Bod
trader_4
2018-08-10 12:33:55 UTC
Post by Bod
President Trump’s tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum are so
ill-conceived that even those meant to benefit from them are crying out
for relief. Citing a lack of domestic supply, Alcoa this week requested
that the Trump administration grant the company an exemption from
tariffs on aluminum imports from Canada.
They’re going to have to get in line. The Commerce Department says that
it has already received over 20,000 such requests to be excluded from
steel and aluminum tariffs.
http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/401097-metal-tariffs-a-nonsensical-solution-in-search-of-a-problem
--
Bod
Interesting that as part of this I didn't see Alcoa saying that this need
is temporary, because they will be using money from the big corp tax cut
to build three new plants and hire 3000 workers either. They said that
even if the US returns to full aluminum capacity, we still will need to
import more than half of our aluminum. Kind of a stunning statement,
sounds like maybe we've found the real source of that part of the trade problem.
Fat, dumb and lazy?

It's kind of what you'd expect. If you were a young bright MBA 10, 20
years ago, would you go to pursue a career in making steel and aluminum?
So, those industries probably don't have the sharpest, most aggressive
tools in the shed. It would be interesting to see someone like Elon Musk
start a new company in steel or aluminum and what he could do.