Walmart is ending its telehealth service and closing over 50 health clinics
Add Reply
Thanks Joe...
2024-05-20 08:31:45 UTC
NPR's Ayesha Rascoe talks with Forbes senior healthcare contributor Bruce
Japsen about why Walmart is closing 51 health clinics and what this means
for the rural populations they served.

AYESHA RASCOE, HOST:

Walmart is getting out of the primary care business. The retail giant said
Tuesday it's closing 51 clinics and shutting down its telehealth service,
just five years after jumping into the industry and weeks after saying it
was expanding into new markets. Bruce Japsen reports on health care for
Forbes and joins us now. Welcome to the program.

BRUCE JAPSEN: Hey, thanks for having me, Ayesha.

RASCOE: So, when people walk into a Walmart, they'll usually find a
pharmacy, maybe vision care, but these clinics that we're talking about
were much more than that, right?

JAPSEN: Yes, they started about five years ago. And Walmart - a lot of
people don't realize this, but Walmart has done some innovative things in
health care over the years. Years ago, they had this market-moving move on
$4 prescriptions. So they thought, you know what? We're - in the markets
that we operate, which were at one time rural, we're going to expand and
get into the health care business and start retail clinics. So the first
clinic they opened in Dallas, Ga., which Dallas, Ga., maybe 20 years ago,
was rural. Now it's a booming suburban market. They opened a 10,000-
square-foot health center. It would have primary care doctors. It would
have X-rays. It would have mental health support - all sorts of services,
and it went well enough. They ended up in five states, and then just a
month ago, they told me, yeah, we're expanding, you know, we're going. And
then they reached out and said that they were getting out of it.

RASCOE: Yeah, well, so, what - 'cause, you know, Walmart is obviously
legendary for maximizing its profit margins and keeping its eyes on the
bottom line. So is this simply a question of profitability? Like, why did
they go from announcing expansions to now saying they're going to shutter
the whole thing?

JAPSEN: Well, that's a great question, because they basically said this -
after the pandemic, we have a very tight labor market. In healthcare,
you've had a lot of burnout and hospitals have had to pay a lot of money
to attract and retain primary care providers. And Walmart basically said,
for right now, they don't see a sustainable business model because health
care costs are going up. In some cases, reimbursement is not keeping up.
They're trying to go into the primary care business when they're competing
against big hospitals and health care systems. And meanwhile, you know,
Amazon, Walgreen, CVS - they're all going into - trying to go into this
primary care market.

RASCOE: So where does this leave the communities where Walmart opened
these clinics?

JAPSEN: Yeah, that's a great question, because, Ayesha, people like these
retail clinics. You know, your doctor isn't off office - isn't often open
on the weekends or after 5 or 6 'o clock. These clinics that Walmart is
closing - and of course, Walgreens is closing and their partner Village MD
are closing clinics as well - people love them because you can go and you
can take your kid, you can take yourself, and you can get care for
different things. What Walmart did say they're doing in the next 60 to 90
days, the next 90 days, is they're closing them. They're hoping and they
think that in some of the markets, because the physicians were on
contract. Generally, they said they were independent physicians and so
forth. They're hoping that maybe the local hospital system or health care
system will take it over. And then they'll have whatever market it is, the
- hopefully, the local hospital or health care system might move in there
or keep it going in some capacity.

RASCOE: So, and I mean, as you've mentioned, you know, Walmart is not the
only big company that got into primary care. You know, you mentioned, you
know, Walgreens and their clinics that are shutting down - Warren Buffett,
Amazon's Jeff Bezos, and JP Morgan's Jamie Dimon teamed up to get into
healthcare and their business called Haven lasted just three years. Is the
American healthcare system just too complex for newcomers?

JAPSEN: Well, CVS had their earnings this week. And I asked their CEO - I
said, are you sticking this out? Because they spent $10 billion on primary
care clinics for seniors. And her answer was, it's complicated, but we're
sticking in. Amazon has said they're committed to their primary care
centers. But the company they bought, One Medical - it was losing money
last year, and my guess is it's probably still losing money. But I think
people say if we really are going to solve the spiraling healthcare cost
equation in this country is primary care is where the cost is the
cheapest, and you want to encourage people to get primary care services.
It's just that the margins aren't as good.

RASCOE: That's Bruce Japsen of Forbes. Thank you so much for speaking with
us.

JAPSEN: Thanks for having me.

https://www.npr.org/2024/05/05/1249231441/walmart-is-ending-its-
telehealth-service-and-closing-over-50-health-clinics
Ed P
2024-05-20 13:24:37 UTC
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Yes, much of our healthcare is a mess and getting worse. Some of the
Medicare Advantage plans are running into similar problems and people
will lose them.

There are shortages of healthcare workers too. Seems they are in great
need and can walk into a hospital and just say, "I'm a (fill in skill)
when can I start working here?
2024-05-20 16:56:49 UTC
Post by Thanks Joe...
https://www.npr.org/2024/05/05/1249231441/walmart-is-ending-its-
telehealth-service-and-closing-over-50-health-clinics
Yes, much of our healthcare is a mess and getting worse.  Some of the
Medicare Advantage plans are running into similar problems and people
will lose them.
There are shortages of healthcare workers too.  Seems they are in great
need and can walk into a hospital and just say, "I'm a (fill in skill)
when can I start working here?
I adored Walmart's Doc-In-The-Box. They have been closed up
here for about a year now. There is Emergent care, but they
are four times as expensive. (My Medicare cover it though.)
We have a great Emergent care facility here. Saved my ass
three times now.

Our health care out here is pretty good. It is just way,
way too expensive.

Medicare Advantage is a stupid plan. If you are on it and
do not expect ANYTHING major ever, you are fine. Otherwise
you are screwed. Lots and lot of useless perks. Advantage
is one of those "there ain't no such thing a a free lunch"
plans and you will figure that out shortly.
Frank
2024-05-20 18:53:07 UTC
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Our small emergency care places are great if all you need is a few
stitches but hospital is awful. My wife had a car accident and
ambulance took her to the hospital with broken ribs and it took about 2
hours before they looked at her. It takes a stroke or heart attack to
get immediate attention. Last time I was there maybe half those waiting
were illegals.
Ed P
2024-05-20 20:53:22 UTC
Post by Thanks Joe...
https://www.npr.org/2024/05/05/1249231441/walmart-is-ending-its-
telehealth-service-and-closing-over-50-health-clinics
Medicare Advantage is a stupid plan.  If you are on it and
do not expect ANYTHING major ever, you are fine.  Otherwise
you are screwed.  Lots and lot of useless perks.  Advantage
is one of those "there ain't no such thing a a free lunch"
plans and you will figure that out shortly.
I get calls all the time from the shysters that want me to switch. I
see the ads all the time touting free groceries and such so for some it
may be tempting.

My wife had heart issues and with our supplement, did not pay a penny
when the hospital racked up bills for 50k, 100k etc. Sure, the premium
was not cheap, but the peace of mind was worth it.
Frank
2024-05-20 21:19:21 UTC
Post by Thanks Joe...
https://www.npr.org/2024/05/05/1249231441/walmart-is-ending-its-
telehealth-service-and-closing-over-50-health-clinics
Medicare Advantage is a stupid plan.  If you are on it and
do not expect ANYTHING major ever, you are fine.  Otherwise
you are screwed.  Lots and lot of useless perks.  Advantage
is one of those "there ain't no such thing a a free lunch"
plans and you will figure that out shortly.
I get calls all the time from the shysters that want me to switch.  I
see the ads all the time touting free groceries and such so for some it
may be tempting.
My wife had heart issues and with our supplement, did not pay a penny
when the hospital racked up bills for 50k, 100k etc.  Sure, the premium
was not cheap, but the peace of mind was worth it.
I am advertising averse, the more they advertise means there is more in
it for them than me.
Clare Snyder
2024-05-21 04:33:32 UTC
Post by Ed P
Post by Thanks Joe...
https://www.npr.org/2024/05/05/1249231441/walmart-is-ending-its-
telehealth-service-and-closing-over-50-health-clinics
Medicare Advantage is a stupid plan.  If you are on it and
do not expect ANYTHING major ever, you are fine.  Otherwise
you are screwed.  Lots and lot of useless perks.  Advantage
is one of those "there ain't no such thing a a free lunch"
plans and you will figure that out shortly.
I get calls all the time from the shysters that want me to switch. I
see the ads all the time touting free groceries and such so for some it
may be tempting.
My wife had heart issues and with our supplement, did not pay a penny
when the hospital racked up bills for 50k, 100k etc. Sure, the premium
was not cheap, but the peace of mind was worth it.
Now you see the advantage of Canadian health care - You might wait
for a knee replacement (wife's on the list for her second one - likely
close to a year) but her wait for Aortic Valve replacement (not
emergency) was less than 2 months and I was offered spinal fusion
surgery (L5-S1) in less than 6 weeks but have scheduled it for October
due to extensive travel plans. Our heart unit at St Mary's is state of
the art and if you go in with a heart attack or other coronary
emergency you can often be in within hours.
Ed P
2024-05-21 11:57:43 UTC
Post by Clare Snyder
Post by Ed P
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
It sounded good until the last sentence. Hours? You could be dead.

First time my wife had a problem, we were coming home from vacation and
she said I want to see a doctor NOW. Sunday afternoon on the highway in
Maryland. I saw one of the blue "H" signs and follow it to a hospital.

There was probably 20 people in the waiting area but the triage nurse
checked her heart as soon as we entered. She was in the treatment room
before I could get to the desk to give her name. We were there for five
days.
Clare Snyder
2024-05-21 17:40:53 UTC
Post by Ed P
Post by Clare Snyder
Post by Ed P
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
By "IN" I mean in the OR,-havingBypass surgery, or a stent, or
whatever.
My uncle had a heart attack while ploughing the feild (between
Linwood and Macton Ontario). He finished the feild and went into the
house where my aunt called the ambulance - he was in surgery
(quadruple bypass) an hour later after a 38Km ride to hospital (St
Mary's in Kitchener).
days.
Ed P
2024-05-21 20:02:03 UTC
Post by Clare Snyder
Post by Ed P
Post by Clare Snyder
Post by Ed P
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Ah, that makes sense. Heart and stoke, seconds can make a difference.

Going back at least 20 years I know of a guy close to the border and he
carried US insurance also. He said it was because he could get faster
service on elective surgeries and stuff. Seems like expensive redundancy.
micky
2024-05-23 06:43:20 UTC
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 21 May 2024 07:57:43 -0400, Ed P
Post by Ed P
Post by Clare Snyder
Post by Ed P
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Five days! That just shows how slow they are! Just kidding.

Do you remember which hospital it was? Baltimore?

Two relevant stories. 1955, my father had had a heart attack and was
in the only hospital in my small city. Had to go some place better. My
mother arranged for him to go by ambulance 100 miles, at least 3 hours
in those day, to the Cleveland Clinic, everything arranged for and paid
for in advance, but when she got there, they had my father lie on a
gurney in the hall while they wanted insurance papers from my mother.
Fortunately my mother was not shy or weak and she told them, Put my
husband in his room and then I'll show you papers. And they did. So
there was financial crap and bureaucratic foul-ups way back in 1955.

OTOH, 1980 I was driving in New Jersey from Allentown Pa. back to
Brooklyn NY and I saw a sign that said Overlook H. It was almost
sunset and I thought I'd get a beautiful view of the sunset. (I sort of
wondered where Overlooks A throught G were, but those were questions for
another day.) Turned left, right, left, right for 5 minutes and when I
got to the top of the hill, I couldn't see the horizon at all because
there was a hospital in the way.

cshenk
2024-05-21 19:02:40 UTC
Post by Ed P
Post by Thanks Joe...
telehealth-service-and-closing-over-50-health-clinics
Medicare Advantage is a stupid plan.  If you are on it and
do not expect ANYTHING major ever, you are fine.  Otherwise
you are screwed.  Lots and lot of useless perks.  Advantage
is one of those "there ain't no such thing a a free lunch"
plans and you will figure that out shortly.
I get calls all the time from the shysters that want me to switch. I
see the ads all the time touting free groceries and such so for some
it may be tempting.
My wife had heart issues and with our supplement, did not pay a penny
when the hospital racked up bills for 50k, 100k etc. Sure, the
premium was not cheap, but the peace of mind was worth it.
I'm pretty well covered with Tricare Prime. I 'paid it forward' with
26 years Navy. Next year I pair it with medicare (part B required, NO
substitution allowed for part B from medicare).

Marketers drive me batty of course, every now and again I play with
them. Most are clueless. They continue extolling their wares so
sometimes I let them waste their time with a 10 minute spiel. (put
cell on speaker and just ignore while you do your thing, until they run
down). Then tell them they can't beat 28$ a month Tricare Prime, and
no, no other supplement allowed for actual medicare part B. Drugs come
via express script, no monthly fee but co-pay of 10$ for 3 month
refills.

They are clueless. I've had them outright LIE about the supplement
they are selling covering Tricare for life (the free government program
for miltary retirees post age 65).
Clare Snyder
2024-05-22 04:02:47 UTC
Post by Ed P
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Talk about clueless, the dingbats call 519 area code trying to sell
me coverage. After they've had their schpiel I ask them if they know
where the 519 area code is
pothead
2024-05-21 20:31:57 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
One thing that the libbys and I agree upon is that the healthcare system in the US is a disaster.
The ER is used by people as their "primary care doctor" which clogs things up.

Obama Care is not the answer because depending upon your state, the cost can be very high.
Neither is Medicare.
Of course the illegal migrants cet MediCAID, which is essentially a blank check for the Doctor,
hospital etc. For veterans the VA is another bloated train wreck.

Under Clinton, Hillary wanted to improve the healthcare system but was not able to.
Trump wanted to rescind Obama Care, lost by 1 vote which was John McCain, but I don't ever remember
seeing his alternative plan.

As the boomer population ages, the need for decent healthcare is imperative. And that doesn't
include the illegal migrants who are currently flooding the hospitals.

I'm not sure what the solution is because socialized medicine is not without it's problems. Maybe
allowing competition across state lines for insurance companies might lower prices?

Something does need to change though.
And fast!
--
pothead
Joe Biden is the absolute WORST President Of the U.S. ever.
Vote for ANYBODY but Joe Biden in 2024.
Scott Lurndal
2024-05-21 22:41:32 UTC
Post by pothead
As the boomer population ages, the need for decent healthcare is imperative. And that doesn't
include the illegal migrants who are currently flooding the hospitals.
I'm not sure what the solution is because socialized medicine is not without it's problems. Maybe
allowing competition across state lines for insurance companies might lower prices?
Something does need to change though.
And fast!
Single payer (that's not socialism, by any definition).

Doctors, nurses, hospital, clinic and office staff work for private
employers and receive salaries just like any other worker.

The number of back-office workers (i.e. unnecessary overhead) is significantly reduced
since all claims for reimbursement are sent to the single-payer (the medicare
overhead is in the single digit percentages, compared with 30-50% for non-
medicare health coverage).

The insurance companies disappear, along with their 20%-30% cut off the top.

The private equity leaches go broke (hopefully).

The intermediate pharmacy benefits managers go away completely.

Drug prices are negotiated once, nationwide, instead of for each
PBM, Insurance Company, State and Medicare.

The funding system also funds medical schools to endure that
the best and brightest can afford to become medical professionals
without worrying about debt, etc.

(newsgroups trimmed to alt.home.repair)
Jim Joyce
2024-05-22 03:37:54 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by pothead
[...]
There's a lot to like there.
Judge Arthur Enron
2024-05-22 09:52:40 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Single payer (that's not socialism, by any definition).
Doctors, nurses, hospital, clinic and office staff work for private
employers and receive salaries just like any other worker.
Were you sleeping through the last scamdemic and the resultant
tyrannical mandates?

If you don't take the vaxxxicide, the gubberment will deny all medical
care claims.

FJB!
Jim Joyce
2024-05-21 03:59:35 UTC
Post by T
Medicare Advantage is a stupid plan. If you are on it and
do not expect ANYTHING major ever, you are fine. Otherwise
you are screwed. Lots and lot of useless perks. Advantage
is one of those "there ain't no such thing a a free lunch"
plans and you will figure that out shortly.
Late last year I helped my sister select a Medicare Advantage plan that has a
net cost to her of just $24 a month, rather than the full Medicare premium of
roughly $175 a month. We sort of figured she wouldn't get much for such a low
cost, but she has been thrilled with it so far. She has seen her family doctor a
couple of times, along with several specialists, tests, etc. After each visit,
her MA plan has paid about 80% of each bill, then her military Tricare coverage
picks up the rest. So far, she hasn't paid a penny out of pocket. Who knows if
that will hold, but she's happy so far.
Frank
2024-05-20 17:59:22 UTC
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Humana Medicare Advantage is no longer accepted by the biggest hospital
system in the state. State retirees were totally pissed when the state
tried to switch them to an advantage plan so the state backed off.

Socialized medicine sounds attractive but a friend that worked in the UK
for several years just told me that a friend of his in the UK had to
wait two years in pain to get a hip replacement and then they botched it.

A manager in the UK I worked with left the company to go on his own and
coworkers told me he would lose his health insurance. When I told them
I thought they had socialized medicine they told me this was a
supplemental policy the company gave to get prompt health care.
Dave Wainwright
2024-05-20 18:59:33 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
It's the same in Canada per some reports. Two or three years to get a
knee replacement and they've cut back on pain killers because of oxy
abuse in the US. Figure that. Canada began rationing their people
because a completely unrelated situation in another country.

The following actually occurred. Some colleagues were moving bulky
equipment down from a top rack and it caught, spun and clobbered one in
the face. He was bleeding like a stuck pig and there was bone visible
so they rushed him to some kind of emergency services clinic. The
clinic staff told him they were backed up and he would have to wait 6-7
hours. The guy he was with drove him about an hour away across some
provincial boundary to another clinic and they took him in right away
despite a backlog. Fractured cheekbone and 22 stitches.
Frank
2024-05-20 21:13:59 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
My wife had both knees replaced and waits were only a month or two.
She had a problem with the opiate pain killers on the first about 8
years ago messing up and causing the agony of withdrawal. The second one
two years ago used little opiates. Also it was outpatient surgery where
the first had her in the hospital two days.
Bob F
2024-05-20 22:10:03 UTC
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
"The median waiting time for an initial orthopedic consultation was two
weeks in the United States and four weeks in Ontario. The median waiting
time for knee replacement after the operation had been planned was three
weeks in the United States and eight weeks in Canada."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8090168/
Scott Lurndal
2024-05-20 22:19:51 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Don't confuse Frank and T with actual, you know, facts. They believe
that second and third-hand anecdotes have superior veracity over actual
data.

(newsgroups trimmed to alt.home.repair).
Bob F
2024-05-21 00:09:45 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Bob F
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Thanks for the trim. I have been doing that myself for a couple days.
Yesterday, I created a filter for post including a couple of those
newsgroups, and got sloppy again, I guess, with an older response from
before I made that change.
cshenk
It happens, or trollish people add them back in.
Don Shenkenberger
I hate that!
Akidasar
2024-05-20 22:48:42 UTC
On Mon, 20 May 2024 11:59:33 -0700
Post by Dave Wainwright
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
Reminiscent of Jeremy Clarkson's narrative of the fine emergency care
his son received in Quebec.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/clarkson-healthcare-quebec-631480/

https://x.com/jeremyclarkson/status/1130071171221917697
Clare Snyder
2024-05-21 04:27:08 UTC
On Mon, 20 May 2024 11:59:33 -0700, Dave Wainwright
Post by Dave Wainwright
Post by Frank
Post by Thanks Joe...
[...]
It's just as bad here in Canada
Post by Dave Wainwright
The following actually occurred. Some colleagues were moving bulky
equipment down from a top rack and it caught, spun and clobbered one in
the face. He was bleeding like a stuck pig and there was bone visible
so they rushed him to some kind of emergency services clinic. The
clinic staff told him they were backed up and he would have to wait 6-7
hours. The guy he was with drove him about an hour away across some
provincial boundary to another clinic and they took him in right away
despite a backlog. Fractured cheekbone and 22 stitches.
Would not need to cross a provincial boundary unless in a somewhat
reomote area. Here in Waterloo I have the choice of emergency
departments at Grand river (about 10 minutes) St Mary's (about 20
minutes) Cambrifge Memorial (about 40 minutes) Fergus (about30
minutes) or Guelph (about 45 minutes) and you can find out the wait
times on-line to make your choice. Then there's Hamilton, Milton<
Mississauga,Orangeville, and numerous others within an hour or very
close.