Do they make crampons for hiking with sneakers in soft soils?
Andrew
2024-05-14 18:34:56 UTC
Do they make crampons for hiking with sneakers in soft soils?
rbowman
2024-05-14 19:01:40 UTC
Post by Andrew
Do they make crampons for hiking with sneakers in soft soils?
You certainly can put everything from YakTrax to micro-spikes on sneakers.
How well they work is going to depend on the soil. None of them work
particularly well in mud. While the chains used on micro-spikes add to the
durability they can load up in some conditions.
h***@ccanoemail.com
2024-05-14 19:14:09 UTC
https://www.sportchek.ca/en/pdp/hillsound-freesteps6-traction-crampon-12150140f.333285356.html

John T.
micky
2024-05-15 01:35:36 UTC
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 14 May 2024 15:14:09 -0400,
Post by h***@ccanoemail.com
Post by Andrew
Do they make crampons for hiking with sneakers in soft soils?
https://www.sportchek.ca/en/pdp/hillsound-freesteps6-traction-crampon-12150140f.333285356.html
Cool. Maybe I'll do some rough hiking, someday, if the weather's good.

If I wake up on time.
John T.
Bob F
2024-05-14 21:29:44 UTC
Sounds like a great way to totally trash the trails.
Andrew
2024-05-14 22:39:12 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by Andrew
Do they make crampons for hiking with sneakers in soft soils?
Sounds like a great way to totally trash the trails.
If there was a trail, I wouldn't need the sneaker crampons. :)
Nobody has hiked here probably in hundreds of years (or whatever).

The soils are all extremely soft with something like a 30 degree slope
(Maybe 40 degree? Maybe fifty? I don't know how to measure a slope).

Put your arm diagonally in front of your face and that's the slope.
What does this slope look like to you?

And that's not even a steep one. Although a picture doesn't show how steep
it is when you're standing ready to fall down the slope with every step.

Nothing is flat. There is no trail. There is only a soft slope.
Anyway, the tiny spikes on the crampons showed seem too small.

I think it needs to be an inch or more to do any tractional good.
But maybe those teeny tiny spikes might work.

I'm thinking I need one inch spikes which can be easily removed.
rbowman
2024-05-15 00:52:52 UTC
Post by Andrew
I think it needs to be an inch or more to do any tractional good.
But maybe those teeny tiny spikes might work.
I'm thinking I need one inch spikes which can be easily removed.
https://www.everestgear.com/421100.html
https://us.grivel.com/collections/crampons/products/air-tech

Stubai says you can use them with anything including flip-flops. Some of
the Grivel designs are similar and may be usable too. The front spikes
will be helpful since you'll mostly be climbing on your toes on slopes
like that. A pair of trekking poles would also be a good idea. They add
stability and can be used to prod suspect looking terrain.

I'd question using low cut sneakers on that sort of terrain. Not only will
you have no ankle support but you're going to be making frequent stops to
dump the crap out.
Bob F
2024-05-15 04:31:46 UTC
Post by Andrew
https://i.postimg.cc/gJSDjb9f/slope.jpg
It looks like a good spot for a good pair of hiking boots.
h***@ccanoemail.com
2024-05-15 13:54:12 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by Andrew
Post by Bob F
Post by Andrew
[...]
That was my first thought, even before seeing the photo of the
terrain - why sneakers ? ! They will be ruined in short order.
John T.
Bob F