Weed killer cane
J***@spamblocked.com
2015-02-10 10:33:25 UTC
When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's my dad had a green cane. It was
a plastic tube about 3 feet long, green in color, and it had a point
on the end that you'd stab into the center of a weed. Stabbing it
released some herbicide. I recall him pouring in some concentrated
herbicide, then adding water, and walking around the lawn stabbing
weeds. These things worked great, were easy to use and would only
spot kill, rather than kill off a whole section of lawn.
I can not find these canes sold anymore. I'd like to try to locate
one on Ebay or something like that. But what were they called?
My intent is to fill with a strong mixture of Roundup to stab and kill
burdock plants.
Mark
Mark;
Not sure of the date of your post but I too am looking for one of these.
I found a model made of PVC so you can see in it. If I can just get a
picture of the plunger system I can make them and would send you one.
Keep looking please.
I think the name was Killer Kane, I have called Scott's company and well as
other trying to see if anyone remembered making them.
tom
This is from a 2006 posting, but I also remember these things. My dad
has one on the 60's. He used to make me kill weeds on the lawn. It was
easy to use. Green, semi transparent, about 1-1/4' dia, and 3 ft. long.
There was a cap on the top. The tip was a brass piece about 1/4" dia.
and about an inch long.It was spring loaded, so when you push on it, it
would release spray, and when it was not pressed, nothing came out.
Basically a spring loaded valve. The liquid (herbicide) shot out of 4
small holes around the brass tip. I remember the details well, because
it tended to clog up once and awhile, and dad showed me how to push it
against the sidewalk to make sure all 4 holes would squirt.

Anyhow, I'd like to find one of these myself, but would use a more
modern herbicide. I have not seen them sold in many years.

The whole cane part could be made from 1-1/4" PVC pipe, and a pipe cap
on the top. But how to make the tip with the valve would take some
engineering. I'm trying to think of some sort of auto or tractor part
that would work for the valve. Maybe the accelerator pump from a
carburetor or soemthing like that.....

It appears that "KILLER KANE" was the name, and I found this website
with trademark info, dated 1/24/1956 and expired 10/28/2006.
Registered to "Wellmark International".
http://www.trademarkia.com/killer-kane-71684199.html

I could not find much else on the web, not even a picture....

I was hoping to find a diagram, user manual, or repair manual. But that
trademark info was about all I could find, which is just text with no
pictures or info.
trader_4
2015-02-10 13:39:38 UTC
Post by J***@spamblocked.com
[...]
Seems to me a tank sprayer with the appropriate tip is similar.
And probably a lot more effective. The typical herbicide depends
on getting absorbed by the leaves. If you have a 7" dandelion, I'd
bet a tank sprayer gets more herbicide where it needs to go than
the cane thing.
Moe DeLoughan
2015-02-10 14:28:18 UTC
Post by trader_4
Post by J***@spamblocked.com
[...]
I remember selling these in our garden center back when I worked for
the seed company. There was another ingenious product by Scotts - a
wax Weed-B-Gone weedkiller bar on a rope that you dragged behind your
lawn tractor as you mowed. Mowed the lawn and applied weedkiller at
the same time, and no spray vapor in the air. Wonderful product, but
very expensive, which is probably the main reason why they quit making
it. But it looks like somebody else makes a version of it:

WeedEx Dandelion Bar
http://www.store.tlhort.com/p-3933-weedex-dandelion-bar.aspx

Anyhow, here's some current versions of the Killer Kane:

WEED WAND MAGIC
Press the applicator tip with piercing points and pressure valve down
on the weed to bruise and pierce the weed injecting herbicide into the
weed.
http://www.amazon.com/90420-Weed-Wand-MagicTM/dp/B004Q6MUPC/ref=pd_sbs_lg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=055313R3MBS71XQ4VST3

WeedBlaster Pro WB006 Weed Sprayer with Handle
Simply push down on the handle to release a perfectly measured spray
every time
http://www.amazon.com/WeedBlaster-WB006-Weed-Sprayer-Handle/dp/B005QMVDZ8/ref=pd_sbs_lg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=055313R3MBS71XQ4VST3

Weedstick Chemical Applicator
http://www.amazon.com/Weedstick-Chemical-Applicator/dp/B00D9F3DRK/ref=pd_sbs_lg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=055313R3MBS71XQ4VST3

Freedom Weeder - 2in1 Herbicide Sprayer/Applicator
http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Weeder-Herbicide-Sprayer-Applicator/dp/B00NQG98I0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WQ2TXCSPBCDZE8W4967

Tecnoma innovates with the WONDERWEED 300 weed killer stick.
Innovative Tecnoma weed killer stick, remove weeds without bending
down! The weed killer stick Wonderweed 300 kills localised weeds
without effort. An accurate an efficient spray which protects
surrounding plants
http://www.tecnoma-store.co.uk/--12877--226--a.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecnoma-Wonderweed-300-Spray-Action-Weed-Spotter-Weed-Killer-Stick-/271409817476

There's also the brush or wick herbicide applicators:

Hudson 69580 Weeding Brush Weed Killer Applicator
http://www.amazon.com/Hudson-69580-Weeding-Killer-Applicator/dp/B00116AAXO/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_text_y/189-0717242-9637502

Instructions to build your own wick applicator using rope and pvc pipe:
http://www.walterreeves.com/uploads/pdf/ropeapplicator.pdf
JAS
2015-02-10 13:58:17 UTC
Post by J***@spamblocked.com
KILLER KANE
Try reading here,might find something.
http://tinyurl.com/kp57o4y
Pico Rico
2015-02-19 01:53:57 UTC

http://www.benmeadows.com/weeding-brush-weed-killer-applicator_s_158690/

http://www.amazon.com/SIDESWIPE-Sideswipe-Herbicide-Applicator/dp/B00178IIAI
chi2
2015-05-19 13:44:01 UTC
Post by J***@spamblocked.com
[...]
Hello, in my quest to make my own killer cane, I ran across your post. I
am currently trialing a prototype using the foam tip with valve from a
bottle of liquid shoe polish. The whole tip comes off quite easily. The
trick is to find the right size tubing to fit. My set up right now is a
piece of rubber hose and a metal tube from a curtain rod. I'm still
searching for a clear tube to replace my metal rod. Hope I'm not too late
with my suggestion or maybe you have come up with a better set up. Let me
know.

marythegood
2015-05-29 03:44:01 UTC
Post by J***@spamblocked.com
[...]
I found my parents' Killer Kane and an original bottle of soluble
herbicide tablets. They still worked (scary!) and are now gone, but the
Kane and its low-tech efficiency is still going strong.

dls
2015-10-02 01:44:01 UTC
Post by J***@spamblocked.com
[...]
I just started looking for the same thing, so glad I found this post. A
neighbor had one in the 80's (it sounds like the Killer Kane described
above) and now I need it. Do a search for "A simple method of applying
herbicide spot treatments" it is a journal article that contains a
schematic of the valve. A picture of a valve that might work is attached.
I checked the local hardware and they couldn't think of anything that
would work. I know i have seen one, but can't remember where. Please get
back on this!!!
[IMG]http://www.homeownershub.com/img/5a[/IMG]

dls
2015-10-07 01:44:01 UTC
Post by dls
but can't remember where. Please get back on this!!!
[IMG]http://www.homeownershub.com/img/5a[/IMG]
Here's a pic of the valve mentioned above.
[IMG]http://www.homeownershub.com/img/5b[/IMG]