McGyver solution for kinks in garden hoses
Add Reply
Jan K.
2024-10-01 20:31:53 UTC
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses

h***@ccanoemail.com
2024-10-01 22:18:08 UTC
On Tue, 1 Oct 2024 22:31:53 +0200, "Jan K."
Post by Jan K.
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses
https://i.postimg.cc/yNgD5rn0/hosekink.jpg
The good quality hoses will be less prone to kinks -
but not immune. I've always avoided the hose reels -
because they tend to force the hose into / onto
position, in a smaller coil than I prefer.
A nice generous < wide round > hose hanger,
with the hose hanging in long coils is my preference.
- think chest / chin high and coils almost touching the ground -
- a 50 ft. 5/8 only takes ~ 5 coils.
I lock open the nozzle to empty the hose as I hang it -
- an empty hose will tend to un-twist as you hang it ..
< fewer kinks later ? >
This advice applies to a homeowner's 50 ft 5/8
or 2 x 50 ft 5/8 .. farm / commercial hoses may well
be a different kettle-of-water ...
John T.
Jan K.
2024-10-01 23:26:00 UTC
Post by Jan K.
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses
https://i.postimg.cc/yNgD5rn0/hosekink.jpg
The good quality hoses will be less prone to kinks -
but not immune. I've always avoided the hose reels -
because they tend to force the hose into / onto
position, in a smaller coil than I prefer.
A nice generous < wide round > hose hanger,
with the hose hanging in long coils is my preference.
- think chest / chin high and coils almost touching the ground -
- a 50 ft. 5/8 only takes ~ 5 coils.
I lock open the nozzle to empty the hose as I hang it -
- an empty hose will tend to un-twist as you hang it ..
< fewer kinks later ? >
This advice applies to a homeowner's 50 ft 5/8
or 2 x 50 ft 5/8 .. farm / commercial hoses may well
be a different kettle-of-water ..
I thought immediately of an old orange juice frozen concentrate cardboard
tubes, but I don't drink the stuff and the weather (rain) would kill it.

But at least it would slip over the large ends of the hose, and still be
able to be taped over the area that constantly kinks, to stiffen it up.

For kinks in the BEGINNING of hoses, they have those expensive
six-inch-long coil springs (which cost more than some hoses).

If I could find a cheap coil spring, I could tape it to the point in the
100 foot 5/8ths inch black pure rubber (Continental) hose though.

What kind of common "tube" would be stiff enough but not carboard, as it
would have to handle the rain, to just stiffen the hose just enough?
Bob F
2024-10-02 00:52:13 UTC
Post by Jan K.
[...]
Some slightly larger several inch long piece of hose could be split to
wrap around the kink and then wrapped with stretchy tape to hold it
together and in place on the hose.

Or, the kink could be wrapped with #12 copper wire with one or more
turns every 1/4" or so.

Or, the kinks could just be wrapped with gorilla tape or duct tape.
Jan K.
2024-10-02 02:01:00 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by Jan K.
What kind of common "tube" would be stiff enough but not carboard, as it
would have to handle the rain, to just stiffen the hose just enough?
Some slightly larger several inch long piece of hose could be split to
wrap around the kink and then wrapped with stretchy tape to hold it
together and in place on the hose.
I had not thought about lengthwise splitting an old larger hose.
I think that will work - with maybe electrical tape holding it in place.
Post by Bob F
Or, the kink could be wrapped with #12 copper wire with one or more
turns every 1/4" or so.
That too is a good idea as the copper will be soft enough to take the shape
of the hose and it might even "dig in" enough to stay put without the tape.
Post by Bob F
Or, the kinks could just be wrapped with gorilla tape or duct tape.
Does that work to reduce the kinks in the hose?
They always seem to happen in the same place for some odd reason.
Bob F
2024-10-02 03:22:56 UTC
Post by Jan K.
Post by Bob F
Or, the kinks could just be wrapped with gorilla tape or duct tape.
Does that work to reduce the kinks in the hose?
They always seem to happen in the same place for some odd reason.
Then happens where the hose gets kinked. Once it has a kink, the hose
material is stretched out of shape so it bends there easier. putting
something around it that does not stretch reduces it's ease of
stretching to the flat position that allows it to bend.

Another approach found online-
"If you have a kinked hose, you can leave it under full sunlight for
hours under water pressure, heat and pressure will expand the hose,
helping it smooth the kink until it's gone. Always put the hose away
after use to avoid any unnecessary damage and avoid re-kinking. "
rbowman
2024-10-02 03:35:27 UTC
Post by Jan K.
If I could find a cheap coil spring, I could tape it to the point in the
100 foot 5/8ths inch black pure rubber (Continental) hose though.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-in-x-5-ft-Split-Flex-Tubing-
FLX-1007GRT/202905450

I've no idea if it would work. My first thought was

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-3-1-2-ft-Spiral-Wrap-Clear-FSP-
CLEARTC/205588211

I've used spiral wrap on cable harnesses and it's available in several
I.D.s.
Carlos E.R.
2024-10-02 11:44:10 UTC
Post by rbowman
Post by Jan K.
If I could find a cheap coil spring, I could tape it to the point in the
100 foot 5/8ths inch black pure rubber (Continental) hose though.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-in-x-5-ft-Split-Flex-Tubing-
FLX-1007GRT/202905450
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-in-x-5-ft-Split-Flex-Tubing-FLX-1007GRT/202905450" on this server.

Reference #18.df6d655f.1727869366.e3bd1726

https://errors.edgesuite.net/18.df6d655f.1727869366.e3bd1726
Post by rbowman
I've no idea if it would work. My first thought was
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-3-1-2-ft-Spiral-Wrap-Clear-FSP-
CLEARTC/205588211
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-3-1-2-ft-Spiral-Wrap-Clear-FSP-CLEARTC/205588211" on this server.

Reference #18.df6d655f.1727869422.e3c4281f

https://errors.edgesuite.net/18.df6d655f.1727869422.e3c4281f
Cheers, Carlos.
rbowman
2024-10-02 23:04:30 UTC
Access Denied You don't have permission to access
"http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-in-x-5-ft-Split-Flex-
Tubing-FLX-1007GRT/202905450"
on this server.
It's a US site; apparently no foreigners are allowed. I get the error with
Tor routed through Italy.

Search for split flex tubing or spiral wrap in the market of your choice.
Retirednoguilt
2024-10-02 13:53:23 UTC
Post by Jan K.
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses
https://i.postimg.cc/yNgD5rn0/hosekink.jpg
Our solution to hose kinks was to move to a condo. No more hose, no more
worries about any gardening issues.
Cindy Hamilton
2024-10-02 16:19:57 UTC
Post by Retirednoguilt
Post by Jan K.
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses
https://i.postimg.cc/yNgD5rn0/hosekink.jpg
Our solution to hose kinks was to move to a condo. No more hose, no more
worries about any gardening issues.
The thought of moving is just wearying.

What would we do with the contents of my husband's workshop?
That's his principal hobby. He's out there right now grinding
something he welded a few days ago. Should he predecease me
(as seems likely), I'll let his friends have anything from it
that they can move.

Once I can't do the work anymore, I'll hire someone.
Cindy Hamilton
micky
2024-10-03 17:22:55 UTC
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 2 Oct 2024 16:19:57 -0000 (UTC), Cindy
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by Retirednoguilt
Post by Jan K.
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses
https://i.postimg.cc/yNgD5rn0/hosekink.jpg
Our solution to hose kinks was to move to a condo. No more hose, no more
worries about any gardening issues.
Seems to me, even if the condo is right next to where you used to live,
you're going to need a much longer hose.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
The thought of moving is just wearying.
What would we do with the contents of my husband's workshop?
There was an assisted-living my mother looked at that had a workshop,
better than mine. I couldn't get the idea out of my head that if she
moved there, *I* could use the shop. After all, my mother let me use
everything in her kitchen.

(Have you noticed that "mother" is no longer in use in many places? Now
it's always mom.)
Post by Cindy Hamilton
That's his principal hobby. He's out there right now grinding
something he welded a few days ago.
That seems like a big mistake. If he hadn't welded them together, he
woudln't have to grind them apart.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Should he predecease me
(as seems likely), I'll let his friends have anything from it
that they can move.
Seems right. Maybe one of them can unweld that thing.
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Once I can't do the work anymore, I'll hire someone.
Summer 2023 I had to pay someone to mow my lawn, but this year I could
do it myself, until this last time. Now I'm debating if I can do it or
not.

Hired a maid for one day and she hid everything. Had to buy more salt
when I know I have some.
Retirednoguilt
2024-10-04 12:34:01 UTC
Post by Retirednoguilt
Post by Jan K.
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses
https://i.postimg.cc/yNgD5rn0/hosekink.jpg
Our solution to hose kinks was to move to a condo. No more hose, no more
worries about any gardening issues.
Seems to me, even if the condo is right next to where you used to live,
you're going to need a much longer hose.
You lost me. We sold the previous home and moved to a condo where the
entire outside property is landscaped and managed by contractors hired
by the condo association. Regardless of the distance between our
previous home and our current home, why do I need a garden hose of any
length? The longest hoses I need are the hot and cold water supply
hoses for my in-unit washing machine.
micky
2024-10-08 03:33:43 UTC
Post by Retirednoguilt
Post by Jan K.
Any free McGyver solutions for kinks in garden hoses
https://i.postimg.cc/yNgD5rn0/hosekink.jpg
Our solution to hose kinks was to move to a condo. No more hose, no more
worries about any gardening issues.
Seems to me, even if the condo is right next to where you used to live,
you're going to need a much longer hose.
You lost me. We sold the previous home and moved to a condo where the
entire outside property is landscaped and managed by contractors hired
by the condo association. Regardless of the distance between our
previous home and our current home, why do I need a garden hose of any
length?
I think you have to appreciate my sense of humor. I assume you need a
garden hose but have no place in your condo to connect it, so of course
you have to run one from your old house. I'm sure the new owners won't
mind. Or at least will let you do it.
Bob F
2024-10-09 04:20:09 UTC
Post by Retirednoguilt
Post by Jan K.
[...]
This is really stupid you know. Humor, it is not. Get over yourself.