Do they make a rubbery paint for chipped refrigerator wire racks?
Danny D.
2013-08-22 06:50:20 UTC
We're giving our old BBQ fridge away to a neighbor's kid who is heading
off to college.

The racks were slightly rusted from being outside for years, so I dunked
them in muriatic and phosphoric acid (in that order) and rinsed them well:

Now the rust is gone, but, there is bare metal where the rust was.

What would you paint these with?
CRNG
2013-08-22 12:34:48 UTC
On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 06:50:20 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
Post by Danny D.
What would you paint these with?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/9568891862_47ba7ecdff_o.gif
I would use this
<http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip>
Danny D.
2013-08-22 13:41:58 UTC
Post by CRNG
I would use this
<http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip>
Now that I know the name, I'll look for it at either Ace or Home Depot today.
http://homedepot.com/p/Performix-Brand-11-oz-White-Plasti-Dip-Spray-6-Pack-11207-6/203545034
beverly
2015-10-26 18:44:02 UTC
Post by Danny D.
Now that I know the name, I'll look for it at either Ace or Home Depot today.
http://homedepot.com/p/Performix-Brand-11-oz-White-Plasti-Dip-Spray-6-Pack-11207-6/203545034

hi, i have a refrigerator with rusted chrome plated racks. does anyone
know if there is paint for that?

Dan Espen
2015-10-26 19:10:26 UTC
Post by Danny D.
Post by Danny D.
Now that I know the name, I'll look for it at either Ace or Home Depot
today.
http://homedepot.com/p/Performix-Brand-11-oz-White-Plasti-Dip-Spray-6-Pack-11207-6/203545034
hi, i have a refrigerator with rusted chrome plated racks. does anyone
know if there is paint for that?
No paint will adhere to chrome.

Nice thing about the internet, you can find replacement parts for almost
everything. Get some nice new replacement racks.
Dan Espen
R***@none.com
2015-10-27 13:37:57 UTC
Post by Dan Espen
No paint will adhere to chrome.
I dont agree. I had a car some years ago, and someome before I bought
the car, spray painted the chrome bumpers black. (Dont ask me why, cuz I
dont know). I tried to scrape it off, and that did not work. I
considered using paint remover but feared I'd damage the car's finish.

I decided to paint the bumpers with some chrome like spray paint which
is a highly shiny silver. That worked fine. I dont know how long it
lasted because I sold the car a few months later.
Dan Espen
2015-10-27 14:21:39 UTC
Post by R***@none.com
Post by Dan Espen
No paint will adhere to chrome.
I dont agree. I had a car some years ago, and someome before I bought
the car, spray painted the chrome bumpers black. (Dont ask me why, cuz I
dont know). I tried to scrape it off, and that did not work. I
considered using paint remover but feared I'd damage the car's finish.
I decided to paint the bumpers with some chrome like spray paint which
is a highly shiny silver. That worked fine. I dont know how long it
lasted because I sold the car a few months later.
Seemed to me like chrome would offer nothing for the paint to grab on
to. I'd still go with finding replacement shelves and replacing.
Dan Espen
Ed Pawlowski
2015-10-27 23:57:09 UTC
Post by R***@none.com
I dont agree. I had a car some years ago, and someome before I bought
the car, spray painted the chrome bumpers black. (Dont ask me why, cuz I
dont know).
Former owner was probably a Black Bumper Mennonite. If the car had
whitewalls the tires would have been turned around. They were allowed to
use the automobile, but it had to be plain, this the chrome covered.
Micky
2015-10-26 23:20:02 UTC
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 18:44:02 +0000, beverly
Post by Danny D.
Post by Danny D.
Now that I know the name, I'll look for it at either Ace or Home Depot
today.
http://homedepot.com/p/Performix-Brand-11-oz-White-Plasti-Dip-Spray-6-Pack-11207-6/203545034
hi, i have a refrigerator with rusted chrome plated racks. does anyone
know if there is paint for that?
I"m hearing that aluminum foil is great for removing rust. Use the
shiny side one guy said. If they look good after you finish, spray
with some clear coating. Let dry extra well before you put in t he
cold refrigerator

And of course rust won't hurt anything. You're concerned about
aesthetics, right?
Colonel Edmund J. Burke
2015-10-28 17:43:22 UTC
The Daring Dufas
2013-08-22 13:23:01 UTC
Post by Danny D.
We're giving our old BBQ fridge away to a neighbor's kid who is heading
off to college.
The racks were slightly rusted from being outside for years, so I dunked
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/9568891966_2d99e79f78_o.gif
Now the rust is gone, but, there is bare metal where the rust was.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/9566098377_36b55b169d_o.gif
What would you paint these with?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/9568891862_47ba7ecdff_o.gif
It has actually been on the market for some time by at least one
manufacturer. ^_^

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/ReRACK

http://www.amazon.com/Rerack-Dishwasher-Rack-Repair-630076/dp/B000WUBJZS

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2890818

TDD
Danny D.
2013-08-22 13:40:42 UTC
Post by The Daring Dufas
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2890818
That's a great idea!
Performix® Rerack® Dishwasher Rack Repair (630076)

A dishwasher would get wet all the time, just like my BBQ frig did,
so, it makes sense a dishwasher product would work.

I'll head on down to ACE today.

Thanks!
Bob F
2013-08-22 13:51:43 UTC
Post by Danny D.
Post by The Daring Dufas
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2890818
That's a great idea!
Performix® Rerack® Dishwasher Rack Repair (630076)
A dishwasher would get wet all the time, just like my BBQ frig did,
so, it makes sense a dishwasher product would work.
I'll head on down to ACE today.
Read the reviews first.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2890818
Danny D.
2013-08-22 22:55:20 UTC
Post by Bob F
Read the reviews first.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2890818
Thanks for the pointer to the reviews.
It looks like folks had a hard time because they didn't remove the rust
first.

What I did, for better or for worse, is yesterday I soaked in a bucket of
water with a couple of cups of strong muriatic acid, and then I liberally
coated the racks with Naval Jelly (Phosphoric Acid).

Then, when it dried in the sun, I liberally coated the entire rack with
glue (I thought it was Elmers but it was Loctite latex white stuff). I let
that dry overnight.

Today I was gonna buy the dishwasher stuff, but, it was only a buck or two
more for the rubbery stuff, so I bought the rubbery stuff instead.
Comparing ingredients, the dishwasher stuff had far fewer ingredients,
but, everything in the dishwasher stuff was also in the rubbery stuff.

I think the biggest problem will be these cracks:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N02/9573678516/

Hopefully the glue will hold them together.
Danny D.
2013-08-25 04:28:11 UTC
Post by Danny D.
Hopefully the glue will hold them together.
My guess is that the glue will ve the biggest problem in this fix. It's not
going to survive the moisture.
Well, it might not. We'll see.

The biggest mistake I made was putting the racks to dry on the
cardboard box I painted them on. And then putting the second
rack on top of the painted racks to dry.

What happened was the thick white rubbery paint formed blobs at
the junction points.

So I scraped it off and the second time around I hung the
racks from wires.

It's in the frig now, ready to be handed over to the kid
for school. It's good enough for government work, or, as
Oren is fond of saying, it's looks fine from here.

Thanks for all the advice, as always (you guys are great).
nestork
2013-08-25 07:17:28 UTC
Danny D.:

If you ever have to do that work again, then don't bother with paint
just use white 2 inch wide lane marking tape.

Lane marking tape has a very strong adhesive, which is also water proof
Also, lane marking tape itself is very strong because people walk o
it, and they use floor cleaning machines over the tape without it comin
off. And, it comes in various colours and various widths.

For example, with the rack shown in this photo:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/9568891966_2d99e79f78_o.gif

I'd just cut a piece of 2 inch wide white lane marking tape, and fold i
over the edge of the rack so that the tape is 7/8 inches wide along th
edge of the rack and the adhesive surfaces stick to each other betwee
the tynes of the rack.

PS1:

Someone mentioned MEK earlier.

MEK and acetone are both "Ketones". A ketone is anything with th
following structure...

C=O

Where A and B can be anything and C and O are Carbon and Oxygen atom
respectively, with a double bond between them.

If both A and B are methyl groups (-CH3), then it's called "dimethy
ketone", or "acetone" for short.

If A is a methyl group (-CH3) and B is an ethyl group (-CH2-CH3), the
it's called "methyl ethyl ketone", or "MEK" for short. Or, if you'r
stoned, if A is the ethyl group and B is the methyl group, it's stil
MEK.

So, acetone (which is nail polish remover) and MEK are chemica
siblings. MEK is acetone's big brother.

PS2:

Both carbon and silicon both form 4 covalent bonds. So, methane has
chemical formula of CH4 cuz the carbon atom forms a covalent bond wit
each of 4 hydrogen atoms.

Silicone also forms 4 covalent bonds, just like carbon, so chemist
wanted to know what they'd get if they used silicon instead of carbon t
make plastics.

The first successful plastic made from silicon was the silicon rubbe
that we still use today as silicone caulk. Chemists noticed that th
number of oxygen atoms and the number of silicon atoms in the ne
plastic were equal, and so there was some speculation that the structur
of the new plastic was that of a long ketone; like this:

Si=O

Si=O

Si=O

So, they combined the words "silicon" and "ketone" to name the ne
plastic "silicone". That's why it's Silicon Valley, but it's silicon_e
caulk.

Well, it turns out they got the structure of silicone rubber all wrong.
It turns out the real structure of silicone rubber is:

.......|
.......O
.......|
H3C-Si-CH3
.......|
.......O
.......|
H3C-Si-CH3
.......|
.......O
.......|
H3C-Si-CH3
.......|

(pardon the periods)

Basically, it's a -Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O-Si-O backbone with tw
methyl groups bonded to each silicon atom.

So, since it didn't look like a ketone after all, chemists quickl
renamed the plastic "di methyl siloxane", but everyone still calls i
"silicone" cuz the original name stuck. So, if you see anything wit
the word "siloxane" in it's name, it means it's a silicon base
plastic.

Dow Corning has a section on it's web site explaining the chemistry an
properties of silicones, or more correctly, siloxanes:
'Fascinating Silicones - Dow Corning
(http://www.dowcorning.com/content/discover/?e=

nestork
The Daring Dufas
2013-08-25 11:46:27 UTC
If you ever have to do that work again, then don't bother with paint;
just use white 2 inch wide lane marking tape.
Lane marking tape has a very strong adhesive, which is also water proof.
Also, lane marking tape itself is very strong because people walk on
it, and they use floor cleaning machines over the tape without it coming
off. And, it comes in various colours and various widths.
http://www.kaptonsource.com/images/color_lane.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/9568891966_2d99e79f78_o.gif
I'd just cut a piece of 2 inch wide white lane marking tape, and fold it
over the edge of the rack so that the tape is 7/8 inches wide along the
edge of the rack and the adhesive surfaces stick to each other between
the tynes of the rack.
Very strong adhesive uh? I wonder how it would do to tape someone's
mouth shut? I can see a "hole" new industry develop around it. ^_^

TDD
k***@attt.bizz
Thinking of harry again? Fingers, man!
The Daring Dufas
2013-08-25 15:13:53 UTC
Post by The Daring Dufas
[...]
Actually my roommate and his psychotic Beagle. They make more noise than
a whole crowd at a football game. O_o

TDD
Danny D.
2013-08-26 04:07:32 UTC
Lane marking tape has a very strong adhesive, which is also water proof.
Also, lane marking tape itself is very strong because people walk on
it, and they use floor cleaning machines over the tape without it coming
off. And, it comes in various colours and various widths.
http://www.kaptonsource.com/images/color_lane.jpg
I like the idea of the lane-marking tape for a wholly different reason.
There is a private road nearby, where my friend, who lives on that
private road, loudly commiserated with me that he wished people would
stay on their side of the narrow road (which has one sharp blind curve).

We discussed a cheap way of keeping people on their side, and we were
going to paint a stripe down the middle - but - the lane marking tape
seems like a better idea.

Does it bend around a typical sharp curve in a road?

(I don't know how to describe the radius but cars go around it at about
20 mph and they can't see each other until it's too late.)
nestork
2013-08-26 05:15:58 UTC
Post by Danny D.
]
I like the idea of the lane-marking tape for a wholly different reason.
There is a private road nearby, where my friend, who lives on that
private road, loudly commiserated with me that he wished people would
stay on their side of the narrow road (which has one sharp blin
curve).
We discussed a cheap way of keeping people on their side, and we were
going to paint a stripe down the middle - but - the lane marking tape
seems like a better idea.
Does it bend around a typical sharp curve in a road?
(I don't know how to describe the radius but cars go around it at about
20 mph and they can't see each other until it's too late.)
For something like that, you'd be better off with "pavement markin
tape", which would be much more weather and UV resistant.

http://tinyurl.com/mxyq6f2

But, the least expensive way to do it would be to use a 3 inch pain
roller sleeve to paint a stripe down the middle of the road usin
pavement striping paint:

http://tinyurl.com/n2hf366

Centerline Supply makes pavement marking paint in various colours, bu
you could almost certainly order the stuff from any of your local pain
stores.

Paints used for marking highways or parking lots will be thinned wit
alcohol so that they dry very rapidly, and so they can be thinned wit
alcohol for spraying.

Painting the stripe on with a 3 inch roller sleeve would be the fastes
easiest and cheapest way to do it, and would probably last longer tha
tape too

nestork
Danny D.
2013-08-28 10:35:45 UTC
But, the least expensive way to do it would be to use a 3 inch paint
roller sleeve to paint a stripe down the middle of the road using
http://tinyurl.com/n2hf366
This makes the most sense, cost wise!
The Daring Dufas
2013-08-26 07:18:39 UTC
Post by Danny D.
[...]
Around here, the city puts a big mirrors and sometimes a flashing
caution light at blind curves but you write that it's a private road.
Installing a safety mirror might be easier than striping the road. O_o

http://www.trafficmirror.com/

TDD
Danny D.
2013-08-27 22:29:10 UTC
Post by The Daring Dufas
Around here, the city puts a big mirrors and sometimes a flashing
caution light at blind curves but you write that it's a private road.
Installing a safety mirror might be easier than striping the road.
It has to be cheap.

We figured paint would be cheaper than mirrors (which can be stolen
and which have to be in a footing).

If we could find a really cheap (like $20) source for mirrors, that
might make a difference though.
Oren
2013-08-26 00:28:55 UTC
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 04:28:11 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
Post by Danny D.
It's good enough for government work, or, as
Oren is fond of saying, it's looks fine from here.
Danny jump in the thread " garage door tension rod is shifting".

I suggested the OP follow things that you did. It all looked good from
my house.
Danny D.
2013-08-26 04:08:09 UTC
Done.
dadiOH
2013-08-22 17:31:49 UTC
Post by Danny D.
We're giving our old BBQ fridge away to a neighbor's kid
who is heading off to college.
The racks were slightly rusted from being outside for
years, so I dunked them in muriatic and phosphoric acid
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/9568891966_2d99e79f78_o.gif
Now the rust is gone, but, there is bare metal where the
rust was.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/9566098377_36b55b169d_o.gif
What would you paint these with?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/9568891862_47ba7ecdff_o.gif
Personally, I wouldn't paint them. If you just have to, find a paint that
will withstand the temperature.
--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH
2013-08-22 17:33:35 UTC
Post by dadiOH
Post by Danny D.
We're giving our old BBQ fridge away to a neighbor's kid
who is heading off to college.
The racks were slightly rusted from being outside for
years, so I dunked them in muriatic and phosphoric acid
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/9568891966_2d99e79f78_o.gif
Now the rust is gone, but, there is bare metal where the
rust was.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/9566098377_36b55b169d_o.gif
What would you paint these with?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/9568891862_47ba7ecdff_o.gif
Personally, I wouldn't paint them. If you just have to,
find a paint that will withstand the temperature.
Forget it, I was thinking broiler racks :(
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Oren
2013-08-22 18:20:55 UTC
Post by Danny D.
We're giving our old BBQ fridge away to a neighbor's kid who is heading
off to college.
Danny,

I'm confused. Is this a refrigerator that was converted to a BBQ
smoker? Or is BBQ fridge a brand name:)
chaniarts
or a fridge that was in the bbq island?
Oren
Aw, okay. That makes sense.
Danny D.
2013-08-22 22:47:27 UTC
Post by chaniarts
or a fridge that was in the bbq island?
Exactly!

The door was off (so nobody would get hurt) as the hinge was broken
(the grandkids used it as a swing).

I just moved the hinge from one side to the other, so now that the
door works, the only thing left was to clean up the thing.

I almost bought the dishwasher stuff at ACE, but, the ingredients were
similar to the much larger can for not much more of rubbery white stuff:

This rubbery stuff had more chemicals, but, Methyle Ethyl Ketone and Xylene
were in both the rubbery things. Neither said anything about cold
temperatures though:

So the first coat is on, and drying as we speak:

Thanks for the advice!
(I've never used this stuff before; so I hope it works.)
chaniarts
2013-08-23 16:58:45 UTC
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3738/9573665730_45d56d7d69_o.gif
This rubbery stuff had more chemicals, but, Methyle Ethyl Ketone and Xylene
were in both the rubbery things. Neither said anything about cold
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/9573666062_9de51c1d96_o.gif
MEK and xylene are the liquid carriers, and evaporate very fast (and are
why it says to not use near flames, since they are EXTREMELY flammable).

i used plastidip to make a handle on my sailboat tiller by dipping
enough timpes to make a 1/2" thick 6" long handle on the end of the
stick. it's lasted through strong sunlight and both salt and fresh water
for about 15 years now.
Danny D.
2013-08-22 22:44:32 UTC
Post by Oren
I'm confused. Is this a refrigerator that was converted to a BBQ
smoker? Or is BBQ fridge a brand nam
Ooops. Sorry for not being clear.

It's an Avanti refrigerator.

It seems to be something like about 3.4 cubic feet or so.

It fit under the BBQ table. The door was broken, so it got wet inside
for a couple of years. No big deal but the steel racks rusted and the
coating cracked a bit.

I moved the hinge from one side to the other, and now it seems to
be working fine.

The biggest problem was this bar was all cracked up:

So, I glued it with Elmers glue, spreading it about last night, and
letting the glue dry.