11 Damning Details In Jack Smith's New Brief In The Trump Election Case
Add Reply
Henry Bodkin
2024-10-04 01:44:32 UTC
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/10/02/jack-smith-trump-election-brief-
details-00182287

Legal
11 Damning Details In Jack Smith’s New Brief In The Trump Election Case

From Trump’s fictitious stats about voter fraud to the FBI’s forensic
analysis of Trump’s phone, prosecutors previewed how they would make their
case at trial.

By Kyle Cheney and Josh Gerstein

10/02/2024 09:45 PM EDT

Special counsel Jack Smith won’t get a chance to bring his best criminal
case against Donald Trump to trial before the 2024 election — and if Trump
wins, Smith probably will never get that chance. But on Wednesday, the
public got its most complete look at the evidence Smith has amassed to try
to prove that the former president orchestrated criminal conspiracies as he
sought to overturn his loss four years ago.

In a 165-page legal brief unsealed by a federal judge (albeit with some
redactions), the special counsel fleshed out detailed evidence he would use
against Trump at trial, if the case ever makes it that far. Smith also
presented his arguments for why Trump is not immune from the charges,
despite the Supreme Court’s ruling over the summer that granted presidents
broad immunity for official acts.

Much of Smith’s brief focused on Trump’s state of mind in the weeks leading
up to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. Smith described a slew of
conversations suggesting that the then-president knew his claims of
election fraud were spurious. And Smith laid out evidence that Trump’s sole
objective was to stay in power — not, as he and his lawyers have claimed,
to exercise legitimate authority over election integrity.

Here’s POLITICO’s look at the most significant and striking details in
Smith’s brief.
Alone with his phone

At 2:24 p.m. on Jan. 6, as Trump supporters were attacking the Capitol,
Trump took to Twitter to condemn Vice President Mike Pence, saying Pence
lacked “courage” because Pence had resisted Trump’s pressure to intervene
in the Electoral College certification.

According to Smith’s prosecutors, Trump was alone in the White House dining
room when he sent that tweet. Trump’s aides had left him there after
failing to persuade him to call on his supporters to leave the Capitol.

“The defendant personally posted the tweet … at a point when he already
understood the Capitol had been breached,” prosecutors wrote.
Trump asked: ‘So what?’

The tweet criticizing Pence coincided with one of the most perilous moments
of the riot: the precise minute Pence was being evacuated from his Senate
office to a loading dock below the Capitol. Rioters had come within 40 feet
of where he was sheltering just before this moment.

When Trump was told by an aide of Pence’s evacuation, prosecutors say Trump
responded: “So what?”

Trump’s first call for calm — which advisers viewed as insufficient — came
14 minutes later: “Please support our Capitol Police and Law Enforcement.
They are truly on the side of our Country. Stay peaceful!”
Disregarding the results

According to prosecutors, at one point during Trump’s bid to overturn the
results, a Trump White House aide overheard Trump tell his daughter Ivanka
and son-in-law Jared Kushner: “It doesn’t matter if you won or lost the
election. You still have to fight like hell.” The comment was allegedly
made on Marine One.
Inventing statistics

Prosecutors said they would prove at trial that Trump and his allies often
made up statistics about voter fraud “from whole cloth.” For example, Trump
and allies alleged that 36,000 noncitizens had cast ballots in Arizona,
changing the figure to “a few hundred thousand” five days later, eventually
revising it back to “bare minimum … 40 or 50,000,” then to 32,000 and back
up to the original number of 36,000.
Broken promises of evidence

One week after Election Day in 2020, Trump told then-Gov. Doug Ducey (R-
Ariz.) that he was “packaging up” fraud evidence to share with him,
prosecutors wrote. But Trump never provided it. Ducey told Trump that
Arizona was all but lost, comparing it to being in “the ninth inning, two
outs, and [the defendant] was several runs down,” Smith’s brief recounted.
Mocking Sidney Powell

After a Fox News host called out Trump-aligned lawyer Sidney Powell for
making bizarre claims about Dominion Voting machines, Trump called her on
speakerphone. On the Nov. 20, 2020 call, Trump muted his line and mocked
her to two aides, calling her claims about the election “crazy” and making
a reference to Star Trek, prosecutors contend. On another occasion, he
called Powell “unhinged.”

Though it’s not referenced in Smith’s new filing or his indictment, Trump
later considered naming Powell as a special counsel to investigate election
fraud, and he considered a proposal she crafted to seize voting machines
from swing states for a forensic inspection.
Trump’s Jan. 5 call to Steve Bannon

Prosecutors, who had more access to telephone records and emails than the
congressional committee that investigated Jan. 6, allege that Trump spoke
to ally Steve Bannon by phone on Jan. 5 less than two hours before Bannon
issued a prescient and provocative prediction on his War Room podcast that
“all hell is going to break loose” on Jan. 6.
A preview of forensic evidence

Prosecutors plan to have an FBI computer forensic examiner testify about
Trump’s phone use on Jan. 6. They say it will show which news and social
media apps he had on his phone and will reveal that Trump was on Twitter
for much of the day. Prosecutors also plan to show at trial what Fox News
was broadcasting at specific times during the day, since Trump had it on in
the dining room and was watching coverage of the riot.
‘Make them riot’

Well before Jan. 6, an unidentified Trump campaign employee
enthusiastically spoke of the potential for a riot in Michigan. The
employee, whom prosecutors described as a co-conspirator, allegedly sought
to “create chaos” at a polling center in Detroit when it became clear a
batch of election returns favorable to Biden was legitimate. “Find a reason
it isn’t,” the alleged co-conspirator said to a colleague, prosecutors
wrote. When the colleague said an outbreak of violence appeared imminent,
the campaign employee replied: “Make them riot” and “Do it!!!”
Rudy’s rise

Trump sidelined his campaign lawyers on Nov. 13, 2020, with Bannon
informing another Trump campaign adviser — and alleged co-conspirator —
that Trump had replaced them in the pecking order with Rudy Giuliani.
Bannon said he told Trump that without Giuliani in charge, “this thing is
over.” “Trump is in to the end,” Bannon added, according to prosecutors.
Rudy’s follies

Counting on Giuliani didn’t turn out so well. Smith’s brief includes yet
another instance of Giuliani’s prolific record of butt-dialing and clumsy
cell phone use. Prosecutors say he attempted to send a proposed resolution
to Michigan lawmakers declaring the election to be in dispute — but sent it
to the wrong number.
Lizard Cheney
And yet the J6 Scammittee destroyed evidence. Why?
Baxter
2024-10-04 14:45:06 UTC
Post by Lizard Cheney
Post by Henry Bodkin
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/10/02/jack-smith-trump-election-bri
ef- details-00182287
Legal
11 Damning Details In Jack Smith’s New Brief In The Trump Election
Case
And yet the J6 Scammittee destroyed evidence. Why?
They didn't. But they did withold some to prevent Repugs from destroying
it.
Graeme
2024-10-04 19:55:03 UTC
Post by Lizard Cheney
Post by Henry Bodkin
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/10/02/jack-smith-trump-election-brief-
details-00182287
Legal
11 Damning Details In Jack Smith’s New Brief In The Trump Election Case
And yet the J6 Scammittee destroyed evidence. Why?
When Trump loses he's going to prison where he will end his days. He's
really really old and the lightest of sentences will see him behind bars
until the end.
Byker
No, it did not. That's Trump's lie you're repeating. It's still a lie.
Hiram Panguitch
2024-10-05 21:15:31 UTC
Post by Byker
It's still a lie.
https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1842324958208565544

Secretary Antony Blinken

@SecBlinken
The U.S. is at the forefront of humanitarian response to the growing
crisis in Lebanon, announcing nearly $157 million in assistance today.
We are committed to supporting those in need and delivering essential
aid to displaced civilians, refugees and the communities hosting them.
Baxter
2024-10-05 21:33:35 UTC
Post by Hiram Panguitch
Post by Byker
It's still a lie.
https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1842324958208565544
Secretary Antony Blinken
@SecBlinken
The U.S. is at the forefront of humanitarian response to the growing
crisis in Lebanon, announcing nearly $157 million in assistance today.
We are committed to supporting those in need and delivering essential
aid to displaced civilians, refugees and the communities hosting them.
That has nothing to do with J6 evidence that tRump falsely claimed was
destroyed.
Skeeter
Who said it was false? CNN?
Baxter
2024-10-06 15:38:25 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
Post by Byker
It's still a lie.
https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1842324958208565544
Secretary Antony Blinken
@SecBlinken
The U.S. is at the forefront of humanitarian response to the
growing crisis in Lebanon, announcing nearly $157 million in
assistance today. We are committed to supporting those in need and
delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees and the
communities hosting them.
That has nothing to do with J6 evidence that tRump falsely claimed
was destroyed.
Who said it was false? CNN?
Who says tRump is able to actually tell the truth? Nothing but lies come
from him.
Skeeter
Who says? CNN?
Bob F
2024-10-06 19:14:14 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
Post by Byker
It's still a lie.
https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1842324958208565544
Secretary Antony Blinken
@SecBlinken
The U.S. is at the forefront of humanitarian response to the
growing crisis in Lebanon, announcing nearly $157 million in
assistance today. We are committed to supporting those in need and
delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees and the
communities hosting them.
That has nothing to do with J6 evidence that tRump falsely claimed
was destroyed.
Who said it was false? CNN?
Who says tRump is able to actually tell the truth? Nothing but lies come
from him.
Who says? CNN?
Anyone with a brain can tell he is lying most of the time.

Just look at all the convictions trump and his organizations have had.

Nothing he says will stand up in court.
Baxter
Apparently EVERYBODY except *you* knows that tRump is a non-stop liar.
Skeeter
So I'm the only one supporting him? His rally said otherwise.
Baxter
2024-10-06 22:08:58 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
Post by Byker
It's still a lie.
https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1842324958208565544
Secretary Antony Blinken
@SecBlinken
The U.S. is at the forefront of humanitarian response to the
growing crisis in Lebanon, announcing nearly $157 million in
assistance today. We are committed to supporting those in need
and delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees
and the communities hosting them.
That has nothing to do with J6 evidence that tRump falsely claimed
was destroyed.
Who said it was false? CNN?
Who says tRump is able to actually tell the truth? Nothing but lies
come from him.
Who says? CNN?
Apparently EVERYBODY except *you* knows that tRump is a non-stop liar.
So I'm the only one supporting him? His rally said otherwise.
I didn't say that either, The other MAGA cult know he lies, but they
just don't care.
Skeeter
How do you know this? Have you talked to all of them?
Skeeter
But only 100 mill to our own people.
Baxter
LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE.
Skeeter
True, she said it.
Baxter
2024-10-06 20:06:02 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
Post by Byker
It's still a lie.
https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1842324958208565544
Secretary Antony Blinken
@SecBlinken
The U.S. is at the forefront of humanitarian response to the
growing crisis in Lebanon, announcing nearly $157 million in
assistance today. We are committed to supporting those in need and
delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees and the
communities hosting them.
But only 100 mill to our own people.
LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE.
True, she said it.
What is your native language? It certainly isn't English. She didn't
lie, but YOU do.
Skeeter
She said it. More money to Lebanon them to our own people.
Baxter
2024-10-06 22:07:26 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
$3493656
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
Post by Byker
It's still a lie.
https://x.com/SecBlinken/status/1842324958208565544
Secretary Antony Blinken
@SecBlinken
The U.S. is at the forefront of humanitarian response to the
growing crisis in Lebanon, announcing nearly $157 million in
assistance today. We are committed to supporting those in need and
delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees and the
communities hosting them.
But only 100 mill to our own people.
LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE.
True, she said it.
What is your native language? It certainly isn't English. She didn't
lie, but YOU do.
She said it. More money to Lebanon them to our own people.
Quite lying - she didn't say anything about "our own people". YOU added
that.
Skeeter
2024-10-06 22:47:18 UTC
In article <vdv1mt$fgco$***@dont-email.me>, ***@baxcode.com
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
$3493656
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees and
the
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
communities hosting them.
But only 100 mill to our own people.
LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE.
True, she said it.
What is your native language? It certainly isn't English. She didn't
lie, but YOU do.
She said it. More money to Lebanon them to our own people.
Quite lying - she didn't say anything about "our own people". YOU added
that.
Look at you twist it around. You overlook the fact that they give more
to others then they do the voters. Don't be so stupid.
Baxter
2024-10-07 03:06:57 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
$3493656
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees and
the
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
communities hosting them.
But only 100 mill to our own people.
LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE.
True, she said it.
What is your native language? It certainly isn't English. She
didn't lie, but YOU do.
She said it. More money to Lebanon them to our own people.
Quite lying - she didn't say anything about "our own people". YOU
added that.
Look at you twist it around. You overlook the fact that they give more
to others then they do the voters. Don't be so stupid.
You have not proved your claim. All you have shown so far is that some
assistance was given for Lebanon.
Skeeter
2024-10-07 13:14:56 UTC
In article <vdvj8h$fgco$***@dont-email.me>, ***@baxcode.com
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
$3493656
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
delivering essential aid to displaced civilians, refugees and
the
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Post by Hiram Panguitch
communities hosting them.
But only 100 mill to our own people.
LIAR! LIAR! PANTS ON FIRE.
True, she said it.
What is your native language? It certainly isn't English. She
didn't lie, but YOU do.
She said it. More money to Lebanon them to our own people.
Quite lying - she didn't say anything about "our own people". YOU
added that.
Look at you twist it around. You overlook the fact that they give more
to others then they do the voters. Don't be so stupid.
You have not proved your claim. All you have shown so far is that some
assistance was given for Lebanon.
I know what she said.

Why should we send them anything?
Baxter
2024-10-07 14:49:46 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
assistance was given for Lebanon.
I know what she said.
Apparently you don't. Because you keep putting words into her mouth.
Post by Skeeter
Why should we send them anything?
That's a different issue. Probably has to do with being drawn into a total
war, and/or preventing creating terrorists who will come to our country to
comit havoc.
Skeeter
2024-10-07 15:15:23 UTC
In article <ve0se9$fgco$***@dont-email.me>, ***@baxcode.com
says...
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
says...
assistance was given for Lebanon.
I know what she said.
Apparently you don't. Because you keep putting words into her mouth.
That's not all that's been put into her mouth.
Post by Baxter
Post by Skeeter
Why should we send them anything?
That's a different issue. Probably has to do with being drawn into a total
war, and/or preventing creating terrorists who will come to our country to
comit havoc.
That's already happened. The money needs to stay here.