garage door tension rod is shifting
Trav
2013-08-25 20:44:01 UTC
My garage door tension rod is shifting on the way up, causing the cable
drum to ride against the carriage bolt head when the door gets about 3/4
of the way open.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/garage-door-tension-rod-is-shifting-760784-.htm
to home and garden related groups
Oren
2013-08-25 21:46:00 UTC
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:44:01 +0000, Trav
Post by Trav
My garage door tension rod is shifting on the way up, causing the cable
drum to ride against the carriage bolt head when the door gets about 3/4
of the way open.
Thanks for sharing. Danny D. is our resident DIY expert. He knows
stuff and may chime in.

Oh, the rod will shift and torque.

Show us a photo of the binding on the bolt head. How many springs are
on the door?

Danny, come in ... <g>
Danny D.
2013-08-26 03:07:54 UTC
Post by Oren
Show us a photo of the binding on the bolt head.
How many springs are on the door?
Danny, come in ... <g>
Hi Oren,
I was going to skip this because I don't see any photos,
nor a good description with measurements, so, as you surmised,
there's just not enough information to go on.

To the OP:
Look at this thread, and snap similar photos so we can "see"
what you're talking about. I can "guess" what the problem is
(as I had a problem with my anchor plates moving that I resolved)
but a lot depends on your setup. ( http://tinyurl.com/k7z6b64 )
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/alt.home.repair/torsion$20spring$20anchor$20flag/alt.home.repair/ifuMBLOoGXY/nEToNmQtn_0J

Here are some BEFORE pictures from that thread:

Here are some AFTER pictures from that thread:
1. Final view (ugly, Rube Goldberged, but relatively functional):
2. Closeup of the right bearing end plate support:
3. Closeup of the spring anchor plate new bearing from Dan:
4. Closeup of the spring anchor plate from below:
5. Closeup of the left bearing end plate support (for two doors):
6. A view of the newly relocated and reinstalled spring:
7. Looking up at the right bearing end plate new support:
8. Then spring anchor plate still bends - not much can be done:
Danny D.
2013-08-28 10:28:41 UTC
Post by Trav
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/garage-door-tension-rod-is-
shifting-760784-.htm
Post by Trav
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to home and
garden related groups
Hi Oren,
I've seen our NNTP posts get placed on forums (i.e., nntp-to-forum); but
not the other way around (which this one seems to be).

Do *any* of these forum-to-nntp posters ever respond back?
Oren
2013-08-28 19:40:41 UTC
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 10:28:41 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
Post by Danny D.
Hi Oren,
I've seen our NNTP posts get placed on forums (i.e., nntp-to-forum); but
not the other way around (which this one seems to be).
Do *any* of these forum-to-nntp posters ever respond back?
Sometimes, but rarely. The Home Groaners Hub web base is ported to
NNTP. The site makes ad money from what we write in NNTP Usenet.

Many of the users cannot OR WILL not reply back in the original
massage thread. Look at the 'telephone pole thread'. The OP started
an entirely new message that could have been in the first thread about
the concerns. Many will post without using at least some quotation of
whom they reply to.

Even when you try to help, you never get a response back so DIY
solutions can be discussed. Same with some Google users.

AND the sig lines are spamming this group.

Spit!
Danny D.
2013-09-07 21:40:36 UTC
Post by Oren
Even when you try to help, you never get a response back so DIY
solutions can be discussed. Same with some Google users.
I figured as much.

The guy just died, despite your attempts to help him.

I'm just going to ignore all of those posts, until/unless someone
proves themselves.

Thanks for caring!
Oren
2013-09-07 21:59:36 UTC
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 21:40:36 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
Post by Danny D.
Post by Oren
Even when you try to help, you never get a response back so DIY
solutions can be discussed. Same with some Google users.
I figured as much.
The guy just died, despite your attempts to help him.
Some folks are just introverts, shy or just plain bashful. A couple of
the alpha- males here will kill file you. The ones that are less
tolerant of folks that push back with another view. At times they lack
humor in a reply to them.

I takes no beans off my plate.
Thanks for sharing :-|
Stormin Mormon
2013-09-08 00:27:11 UTC
Yeah, and then there are the idiots who
provoke trolls..... ha, ha.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
Post by Oren
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 21:40:36 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
"surge suppressor" and "surge protector"
Post by Oren
Post by Danny D.
Post by Oren
Even when you try to help, you never get a response back so DIY
solutions can be discussed. Same with some Google users.
"surge suppressor" and "surge protector"
Post by Oren
I figured as much.
Post by Oren
Post by Danny D.
The guy just died, despite your attempts to help him.
Some folks are just introverts, shy or just plain bashful. A couple of
the alpha- males here will kill file you. The ones that are less
tolerant of folks that push back with another view. At times they lack
humor in a reply to them.
"surge suppressor" and "surge protector"
I takes no beans off my plate.
Post by Oren
Post by Danny D.
I'm just going to ignore all of those posts, until/unless someone
proves themselves.
"surge suppressor" and "surge protector"
Post by Oren
Post by Danny D.
Thanks for caring!
Thanks for sharing :-|
"surge suppressor" and "surge protector"
Stormin Mormon