Good or bad door advice?
Add Reply
Ed P
2024-10-08 12:19:21 UTC
Frond door of homes have always been made to open inward. Important in
snow areas, but also anywhere. You don't want the door blocked by
packages or anything else.

The newspaper this morning had this in an article about protecting you
house from hurricanes. Still seems problematic to me in the long run.
Maybe against code.

Ensure you have doors hinged to swing outward

Another way to protect the inside of your home is to make sure exterior
doors swing outward. In the case of high winds, doors hinged to swing
inward could be forced open and send in wind and rain.

If you’re replacing a door soon, consider purchasing a door with hinges
made to swing outward.
Retirednoguilt
2024-10-08 14:32:09 UTC
Post by Ed P
Frond door of homes have always been made to open inward. Important in
snow areas, but also anywhere. You don't want the door blocked by
packages or anything else.
The newspaper this morning had this in an article about protecting you
house from hurricanes. Still seems problematic to me in the long run.
Maybe against code.
Ensure you have doors hinged to swing outward
Another way to protect the inside of your home is to make sure exterior
doors swing outward. In the case of high winds, doors hinged to swing
inward could be forced open and send in wind and rain.
If you’re replacing a door soon, consider purchasing a door with hinges
made to swing outward.
I'm not sure it would make a difference during the powerful gusts that
have the greatest velocity during a hurricane. At least looking at
windows, I've seen storm windows be bowed both inward and bowed outward
by the alternating applied pressure and sudden relative vacuum during
strong gusts.
Ed P
2024-10-08 14:51:10 UTC
Post by Retirednoguilt
Post by Ed P
[...]
Doing a little more searching, in parts of Florida outward opening is
code. Mine is inward opening, but my kitchen is a slider.

Having lived up north, I've had a good bit of snow in front of the door
that would block out swing.
Ralph Mowery
2024-10-08 15:24:44 UTC
Post by Ed P
Doing a little more searching, in parts of Florida outward opening is
code. Mine is inward opening, but my kitchen is a slider.
Having lived up north, I've had a good bit of snow in front of the door
that would block out swing.
Sort of a difficult problem when one has a regular door that needs to
open inward so the storm door can open outward.

With high winds and storm most of the house will be gone any way.
Reminds me of the old saying about the fire department getting there in
time to save the chimney.
Cindy Hamilton
2024-10-08 15:26:52 UTC
Post by Ed P
Frond door of homes have always been made to open inward. Important in
snow areas, but also anywhere. You don't want the door blocked by
packages or anything else.
The newspaper this morning had this in an article about protecting you
house from hurricanes. Still seems problematic to me in the long run.
Maybe against code.
Ensure you have doors hinged to swing outward
Another way to protect the inside of your home is to make sure exterior
doors swing outward. In the case of high winds, doors hinged to swing
inward could be forced open and send in wind and rain.
That's what the storm door is for.
Post by Ed P
If you’re replacing a door soon, consider purchasing a door with hinges
made to swing outward.
The door we use most frequently is a sliding patio door.
Cindy Hamilton
Ketanji Kornrows
2024-10-08 18:12:05 UTC
Frond door of homes have always been made to open inward.  Important in
snow areas, but also anywhere.  You don't want the door blocked by
packages or anything else.
The newspaper this morning had this in an article about protecting you
house from hurricanes.  Still seems problematic to me in the long run.
Maybe against code.
Ensure you have doors hinged to swing outward
Another way to protect the inside of your home is to make sure exterior
doors swing outward. In the case of high winds, doors hinged to swing
inward could be forced open and send in wind and rain.
If you’re replacing a door soon, consider purchasing a door with hinges
made to swing outward.
So if Milton blows your doors open, what failed? Hinges? Deadbolt? House
framing?
micky
2024-10-08 22:57:51 UTC
Post by Ed P
Frond door of homes have always been made to open inward. Important in
snow areas, but also anywhere. You don't want the door blocked by
packages or anything else.
The newspaper this morning had this in an article about protecting you
house from hurricanes. Still seems problematic to me in the long run.
Maybe against code.
Ensure you have doors hinged to swing outward
Another way to protect the inside of your home is to make sure exterior
doors swing outward. In the case of high winds, doors hinged to swing
inward could be forced open and send in wind and rain.
If you’re replacing a door soon, consider purchasing a door with hinges
made to swing outward.
Just today I saw video on the news of someone wandering around abandoned
houses from Helene and the one he picked he mentioned had a door that
opened outwards but it was still pushed in and all the furniture strewn
around. But that might be an extreme case and it might well help in
many other cases.

Did I mention here that when I was on one of my 3-month trips, the
townhouse next to me was vacant, and they were showing it to a potential
buyer, and they heard the radio which I'd put on a timer to discourage
burglars, and they realized they hadn't seen me for a long time, and
they called the police, who kicked in my front door?

I found out about this while I was gone during a phone call to
another neighbor. I had to plan that when I got home, even after a
trip with a long fligtht etc., to allow time to get into the house. They
had shut the door, but when I pushed it open I found that only the top
hinge was still connected, and I had to fix the door right away. Had to
go to the hardware store to buy long screws. Their kick also took off
the molding around the inside of the door and a 10" wide pieced of
sheetrock about 6 feet high, and left a foot print on the door.

They left some sort of note but it was lying on the stoop, rained on,
wet, and illegible from the rain.
Clare Snyder
2024-10-09 18:08:55 UTC
Post by Ed P
Frond door of homes have always been made to open inward. Important in
snow areas, but also anywhere. You don't want the door blocked by
packages or anything else.
The newspaper this morning had this in an article about protecting you
house from hurricanes. Still seems problematic to me in the long run.
Maybe against code.
Ensure you have doors hinged to swing outward
Another way to protect the inside of your home is to make sure exterior
doors swing outward. In the case of high winds, doors hinged to swing
inward could be forced open and send in wind and rain.
If you’re replacing a door soon, consider purchasing a door with hinges
made to swing outward.
up here in snow country the inside door swings in and the outer
"storm" door swings out. Now if the outer latch doesn't hold the winf
can grab that door and tear the hinge right off - sending the door
flying down the street If snow blocks the door we can always exit
thruogh the rear slider (patio door) to grab the shovel
kazu
2024-10-12 06:32:27 UTC
Post by Ed P
Frond door of homes have always been made to open inward.
Important in snow areas, but also anywhere.  You don't want the
door blocked by packages or anything else.
The newspaper this morning had this in an article about
protecting you house from hurricanes.  Still seems problematic to
me in the long run. Maybe against code.
Ensure you have doors hinged to swing outward
Another way to protect the inside of your home is to make sure
exterior doors swing outward. In the case of high winds, doors
hinged to swing inward could be forced open and send in wind and
rain.
If you’re replacing a door soon, consider purchasing a door with
hinges made to swing outward.
yea mine opens inward as well, never thought about it. but i live
in a flat, so its not really an issue.