pour spout for 1 gallon metal can?
g***@gmail.com
2006-05-19 15:45:39 UTC
Does anyone know where I can get a pour spout for the standard 1 gallon
metal can used for thinner, dentatured alcohol, etc?

I've tried the pour the can from the side method...and that still
didn't work so great when the can was full. You would think the
manufacturers of these things would be smart enough to make a no drip
lip, but it's as if they want us waste the product so we buy more!

-joe
Travis Jordan
2006-05-19 16:22:38 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Does anyone know where I can get a pour spout for the standard 1
gallon metal can used for thinner, dentatured alcohol, etc?
Virtually any paint store. Probably even the big box stores, although I
haven't looked.
RoxannVR
2012-06-09 14:10:15 UTC
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal-can-112176-.htm
RoxannVR wrote:
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling half of
my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
DanG
2012-06-09 14:52:33 UTC
Post by RoxannVR
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal-can-112176-.htm
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling half of
my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
I thought this one was long dead. I took one of the "new" laundry soap
bottles that my wife emptied. Has a handy push button valve. Holds
paint thinner just fine - dispense as needed, sits nicely on a shelf,
bright color (All), has not leaked to date, holds more than a gallon.
Totally nice.

I've not tried it with lacquer thinner yet, waiting for her to empty
another.
--
___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
d***@gmail.com
2012-06-11 18:44:23 UTC
Post by DanG
I thought this one was long dead.
It IS.

There's this site called "homeowner's hub" that pirates content from USENET and presents it as its own. Its "forum" feature is actually integrated into USENET, and the clueless users of "homeowner's hub" don't bother to look at the date of the post they are responding to.
Bob F
2012-06-09 14:57:43 UTC
Post by RoxannVR
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal-can-112176-.htm
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling
half of my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
When the can is full, pour with the opening at the highest position, and the
majority of the lid below it, and it's easy.
Han
2012-06-09 19:15:08 UTC
Post by Bob F
Post by RoxannVR
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling
half of my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
When the can is full, pour with the opening at the highest position,
and the majority of the lid below it, and it's easy.
That's the trick. Always pour "from the top" because you don't want it to
go cluck-cluck. Leave enough space for the air to go into the container
smoothly.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
FrozenNorth
2012-06-09 19:23:39 UTC
Post by Han
Post by Bob F
Post by RoxannVR
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling
half of my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
When the can is full, pour with the opening at the highest position,
and the majority of the lid below it, and it's easy.
That's the trick. Always pour "from the top" because you don't want it to
go cluck-cluck. Leave enough space for the air to go into the container
smoothly.
Unless it is a beer. :-)
--
Froz...

Han
2012-06-09 20:25:37 UTC
Post by FrozenNorth
Post by Han
Post by Bob F
Post by RoxannVR
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-met
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling
half of my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
When the can is full, pour with the opening at the highest position,
and the majority of the lid below it, and it's easy.
That's the trick. Always pour "from the top" because you don't want
it to go cluck-cluck. Leave enough space for the air to go into the
container smoothly.
Unless it is a beer. :-)
It's the same for pouring a beer out of a container. How you pour it into
yourself is another matter ...
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Swingman
2012-06-09 20:28:41 UTC
Post by FrozenNorth
Post by Han
That's the trick. Always pour "from the top" because you don't want it to
go cluck-cluck. Leave enough space for the air to go into the container
smoothly.
Unless it is a beer. :-)
Buy that man one ... LOL!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop
Steve B
2012-06-10 15:02:54 UTC
Post by RoxannVR
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal-can-112176-.htm
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling half of
my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
I take a 2" drywall screw and tap about a dozen little holes into the
recession where the lid fits. Liquid that goes in there goes back into the
can. You have to make them the right size, not too big, not too small.

Steve
tiredofspam
2012-06-10 19:06:42 UTC
I made my own pour spout. But the cans are changing over to plastic
screw tops...
But this might help anyway...
Steve
Mike Marlow
2012-06-10 19:41:27 UTC
tiredofspam
2012-06-10 22:21:03 UTC
They are a different size, and I don't know how to bond to the new
plastic top. Not sure what plastic it is yet.

I would also have to bond a similar material.

It was easier soldering a copper sleeve to the tin screw top than it
will be getting a bond between the two types of plastics. But once made
it should seal nicely.
Post by Mike Marlow
Post by tiredofspam
I made my own pour spout. But the cans are changing over to plastic
screw tops...
But this might help anyway...
http://i.imgur.com/snX1Y.jpg
Should still work. Just remove the plastic cap, and screw on the spout. A
plug in the spout will control evaporation.
Mike Marlow
2012-06-10 22:28:58 UTC
Post by tiredofspam
They are a different size, and I don't know how to bond to the new
plastic top. Not sure what plastic it is yet.
I would also have to bond a similar material.
It was easier soldering a copper sleeve to the tin screw top than it
will be getting a bond between the two types of plastics. But once
made it should seal nicely.
Got it. A little experimentation should prove the answer. You're sharp -
you'll get it. Then, share it.
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
Bob F
2012-06-11 15:17:40 UTC
Mike Marlow
2012-06-11 16:03:17 UTC
Post by Mike Marlow
Post by tiredofspam
I made my own pour spout. But the cans are changing over to plastic
screw tops...
But this might help anyway...
http://i.imgur.com/snX1Y.jpg
Should still work. Just remove the plastic cap, and screw on the
spout. A plug in the spout will control evaporation.
Use pipe nipples and the nuts they use on conduit or clamps coming
into wireing boxes with rubber gaskets or O-rings?
Maybe - have not looked at those sizes. At the very least... some kind of
comparable thinking. tiredofspam is a pretty clever guy - he'll nail this
one and he'll post pics when he's got it.
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
CW
2012-06-12 00:21:10 UTC
"tiredofspam" wrote in message news:***@ptd.net...

They are a different size, and I don't know how to bond to the new
plastic top. Not sure what plastic it is yet.

If it is the same as the plastic gas cans, forget it. They are made of
polypropylene. Nothing that I know of will stick to it.
tiredofspam
2012-06-12 02:06:04 UTC
If that's true, then I might have to see if there is anything with the
same threads. Although I think it might be easier than the tin can which
were not standard plumbing threads...
tiredofspam
2012-06-12 13:22:07 UTC
The recycle stamp inside the cap shows
O4
PE

I'll assume that to be polyethylene... Not very bond-able from what I
know about it..

Time to look for a plumbing match.
Mike Marlow
2012-06-12 14:34:13 UTC
Post by tiredofspam
The recycle stamp inside the cap shows
O4
PE
I'll assume that to be polyethylene... Not very bond-able from what I
know about it..
Time to look for a plumbing match.
I don't have any experience in bonding polyethylene, so I had to resort to a
google search. It appears that conventional wisdom might be inaccurate in
this matter. It seems that there are ways to successfully bond
polyethylene - look here at least as a starting point. The thing that
triggered me to look a bit was a friend of mine who used to weld different
plastics together, and I remembered him telling me about the requirements
for different approaches for the different families of those products.
Might be worth a bit more examination.

http://www.reltekllc.com/adhesives-for-polyethylene.htm
--
-Mike-
***@windstream.net
Luigi Zanasi
2012-06-11 15:37:30 UTC
Post by RoxannVR
Seriously, why do they make the cans that way. I've been spilling half of
my paint thinner everytime I go to use it.
Try a coleman fuel filler that screws on to the cap thread. It's made
for camping fuel but works on other stuff too.

$7.68 at amazon but should also be available in your neighbourhood
store that sell camping equipment and Coleman stoves (Crappy Tire for
Canadians).

Luigi
Pat Barber
2012-06-14 15:52:10 UTC
Nice catch ....I gotta get a couple of those.
CW
2006-05-19 19:08:52 UTC
Pouring from the side is no different than pouring from the front. Pour from
the side opposite the spout, so the spout is on top. That way, when you
quite pouring, the liquid level drops below the spout before the spout goes
beyond horizontal where it can drip all over the can.
-joe
g***@gmail.com
2006-05-19 20:09:20 UTC
Hey...maybe I should try this way. I have noticed on auto oil
bottles(quart size) that are rectangular, the diagram on how to pour
the bottle shows exactly as you pointed it. I think it's somewhat
counter intuitive...but if you think about how the air and fluid sit in
the bottle/can, it makes perfect sense when pouring. I should have
thought about that before. Thanks!

-sp
s***@gmail.com
2015-02-06 07:45:17 UTC
Gundam Mr. Spout...fantastic little invention: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DTJ6GU/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002DTJ6GU&linkCode=as2&tag=htma-20&linkId=OFAXLIH5DKCD7HED
Dave Waters
2016-05-05 17:44:02 UTC
replying to sthurmo, Dave Waters wrote:
Our company (www.doyleshamrock.com) has recently designed a snap-on 1 gallon
metal can pour spout. We have two models... model #PAUS fits a 1.30" threaded
opening, and model #PAUS2 fits a 1.74" threaded opening. Contact
***@doyleshamrock.com for pricing.
--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal-can-112176-.htm
moldman1
2019-03-27 17:14:02 UTC
replying to Dave Waters, moldman1 wrote:
The correct link to the pour spouts is
https://doyleshamrock.com/product/gallon-can-pour-spout/
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal-can-112176-.htm
w***@gmail.com
2017-02-02 04:50:39 UTC
These only fit the 1 pint cans. Not the 1 gallon cans. Don't bother buying.
b***@gmail.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142702178731?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649
bmon30
2018-03-20 16:44:01 UTC
replying to g20zoom, bmon30 wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142702178731?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649
here's one !!

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/pour-spout-for-1-gallon-metal-can-112176-.htm
Markem
2018-03-20 16:53:16 UTC
On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:44:01 GMT, bmon30
Post by b***@gmail.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142702178731?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649
here's one !!
If he has not gotten one in the past twelve years, you might have
solved the problem.
woodchucker
2018-03-20 19:42:40 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142702178731?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649
here's one !!
That's funny, you took my idea and patented it.
Great job.
I posted this about 5-6 years ago here on this group
https://imgur.com/a/wLzRs
Jeff
woodchucker
2018-03-20 19:49:29 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142702178731?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649
here's one !!
Good job on stealing my idea and patenting it. I posted that on this
news group 5-6 years ago or longer.
https://imgur.com/a/wLzRs
--
Jeff